Barrus Shire 45 110A alternator alternatives

RichLech

Featured Posts

I am trying to identify a suitable 110A alternator for my Barrus Shire 45.

The existing is Prestolite 35215315 which I understand is no longer available. Apparently the factory making the 3521 series closed down and Prestolite don't seem to offer a direct alternative.

I think it was also known as a Prestolite PBNA3151, 20130151, 35214920.

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever managed to identify a suitable alternative.

I know I can always get my existing alternator reconditioned but I actually want to obtain a spare if I can.

I am trying to identify a suitable 110A alternator for my Barrus Shire 45.The existing is Prestolite 35215315 which I understand is no longer available. Apparently the factory making the 3521 series closed down and Prestolite don't seem to offer a direct alternative.I think it was also known as a Prestolite PBNA3151, 20130151, 35214920.Just wondering if anyone on here has ever managed to identify a suitable alternative.I know I can always get my existing alternator reconditioned but I actually want to obtain a spare if I can.

Ed at Four counties marine does a 110amp prestolite for his Isuzu conversions; which might be compatable.

You could just plonk it on the counter at your local reconditioners and see what they can offer.

Alternatively something commonly used by other marinisers might be a way forward; the one that springs to mind is the Iskra 100amp unit as found on many Beta engines.

The lower alternator mounting on Shire engine is usualy easy to modify if needed, with a selection of mounting holes on the engine rail.