Fuel lines (BMC 1.5??)

pete.i

Featured Posts

Hi all

Does anyone what these fuel lines are for? They were on my boat (Keb) when I bought it. I know they are fuel lines because it says so but all the fuel lines on my boat ate either 8mm or 10mm copper pipe. There is a flexi pipe that takes the fuel feed from the end of a 10mm pipe, that is connected to the fuel tank, up to the lift pump everything else is copper pipe. These are 6mm ends so they are not going to fit anything on my boat without an adapter but my question really is a general one i.e what would they be used for? Possibly if Leo sees this post he will know as he had the boat once and my assumption is that these pipes were on the boat when he had it. The other conundrum that I have is that I have five of these pipes so whatever they are for it would seem to a belt/braces/bit of string/knicker elastic situation.

Anyway as I say I know they are fuel lines because it says so on them but where would they be used?

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/pete-i1/20140524_185644.jpg

http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u492/pete-i1/20140524_185644.jpg

Cheers

Pete

Edited by pete.i

Hi Pete, If i were you i would pop a few boats up and ask Malcolm. He'll have a good idea.

Hi Kieron

well I would except that I now have these pipes at home as I am, hopefully, trying to refurb another BMC 1.5 in my garage and I thought that maybe I could use them on that but they wont fit anything on that engine without adapting them. If the conundrum hasn't been settled by Tuesday I will take them in and ask Malcolm.

Cheers

Pete

Hi Pete,

I recall buying them (it), maybe to connect the diesel overflow line from the engine to the fuel run to the tank, and one to connect the fuel filter on the bulkhead to the injector pump.

I seem to recall this may have been a BSS requirement to avoid rigid connections between the fuel system and the engine.....

I never got round to fitting them.

Hope all goes well, have a good holiday, how is the rebuilding of the second engine going?.

Regards.

Mike.

PS See they are dated 1998........... will have a look at my log book see if that turns anything up.

Edited by LEO

Hi Pete,

I recall buying them (it), maybe to connect the diesel overflow line from the engine to the fuel run to the tank, and one to connect the fuel filter on the bulkhead to the injector pump.

I seem to recall this may have been a BSS requirement to avoid rigid connections between the fuel system and the engine.....

I never got round to fitting them.

Hope all goes well, have a good holiday, how is the rebuilding of the second engine going?.

Regards.

Mike.

PS See they are dated 1998........... will have a look at my log book see if that turns anything up.

Hi Mike

okay. Nobody has said anything about flexible lines back to the tank for the overflow lines nor for the feed to the injector pump. They probably will now it's been mentioned LOL. But the existing pipes are either 8mm or 10mm and them thar yeller things are 6mm so they wouldn't fit with out adapting them and there are five of them. Anyway I'll find a use for them somewhere, possibly, on the second engine.

That is coming on okay. The injector pump works but it does have a slight leak from the end cap, whatever that is, it's a bolt fitted at the bottom of the injector pump. I undid it and the seal is all tatty and orrible. But I have a full seal/gasket kit for the injector pump and there is a seal in that. The head is good and the big end bearings look okay. I did have it stripped down because it had been sealed with what looks like silicon sealer around the rocker box cover and the sump which I had to clean off. Also the person I bought it from had managed to break the sump drain plug off so I had to get that welded back on. I have replaced the sump gasket and the rocker cover gasket and a couple or three other gaskets. I want to start it before I throw any more more money at it though so to that end I have put it all back together and spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to start it but it wouldn't even try to start. Busy today and tomorrow with CRT educational thingy so I cannot do anything with it but going to try again on Tuesday providing the sun isn't out cos I'll be cruising if it is . Someone said it could be timing but I haven't altered the timing so I don't think it's that but I will check it. If it's anything like the engine on the boat it doesn't take an awful lot of air in the fuel system to completely make the engine unstartable, as I have found out. So, hopefully, it's something relatively easy like that. I do have plenty of diesel at the injectors and it is going into the cylinders because when I crank it over unburnt diesel is coming out of the exhaust. Also the compressions are good on 3 of the cylinders and little bit down on cylinder 1. This shouldn't make it totally unable to start it should at least be trying. So I am hopeful it will eventually start but even if it doesn't I have a good injector pump (once I replace the seal) a good head, a good starter motor and a good lift pump. The alternator is good but one of the fixing lugs has been broken off but I can get a cover off EBay for around a fiver. So that little lot is worth way more than I paid for the engine. So basically that is where I stand with the second engine atm.

Holiday? What holiday LOL. I'm retired us retired peeps don't have time for holidays. In fact I just do not know where I ever found the time to work when I was working.

Cheers

Pete