Leaking stern gland issue

Featured Posts

You're most welcome. You did get some of the right grease from Vetus to squirt in between the two seals though? Don't panic if you didn't just get plenty in there as soon as you can. I think the instructions say to fill it at least half full of grease. I don't think the one on mine ever had any grease so that's why I'm saying don't panic. I'm sure it won't hurt it to run for a little while without. I just had alarm bells going off in my head because you didn't mention the grease. They do say that it's important to only use their grease by the way. You can get it from their web site.

It is probably safest to use Vetus own grease, but I have used silicone grease from plumbers merchants without problems (4 quid for a small tub last time.) I use a plastic syringe to apply the grease and put some in at every engine oil change. My stern gland seals are ready for first time changing now at 2500hrs/ten years.

Edited by Guest

I would presume that the modern Vetus stern gear for canal use differs from the type fitted in the early 60`s in offshore setup`s, as the bronze outer boss on the outside of the hull had 2 small forward facing scoops cast in the boss [ would almost be certain to get filled with mud/debris on a canal installation] but I was lead to understand this supplied lubrication to the bearings & the small dia tube/pipe at the forward end of the stern tube was indeed a vent But have no knowledge of present day canal set up`s

You're most welcome. You did get some of the right grease from Vetus to squirt in between the two seals though? Don't panic if you didn't just get plenty in there as soon as you can. I think the instructions say to fill it at least half full of grease. I don't think the one on mine ever had any grease so that's why I'm saying don't panic. I'm sure it won't hurt it to run for a little while without. I just had alarm bells going off in my head because you didn't mention the grease. They do say that it's important to only use their grease by the way. You can get it from their web site.

Yes I had the Vetus grease already, I put some on the inside of the seals when fitting. when I came to put some more in through the top hole the seals were that good that the pressure built up and made getting any more grease in very difficult.

I have seen the type that you refer to. There are no scoops on my Vetus setup; it is just a welded in tube which carries a cutless bearing, which is about 5 inches long. Inboard there is a brass "adapter" threaded into the steel tube, onto which the neoprene tube is clamped with jubilee clips. The neoprene tube carries the lip seal setup at the furthest end.

Hi,

Just looked at the supplier site and see they have nitrile and viton rubber seals in the 35 x 52 x 7 size the latter having stainless steel springs and one with a double lip is there sufficient benefit to justify the extra cost?

Ray

Hi,

Just looked at the supplier site and see they have nitrile and viton rubber seals in the 35 x 52 x 7 size the latter having stainless steel springs and one with a double lip is there sufficient benefit to justify the extra cost?

Ray

The only difference is the temperature range that they are suited for, Nitrile -40 to 120DegC and the Vitron -30 to 200DegC I guess you have to decide how hot you think your bearings will get, I've no idea myself but I would have thought a lot less than 20DegC (hope so cos I went for the Nitrile)

I wouldn't bother with anything other than the bog standard Nitrile seals. You don't need the extended temperature range and the seal will fail through lack of lubrication in the end. With all the will in the world, it's almost impossible to adequately lubricate these and I don't think water is that great a lubricant.

They last pretty well so long as you periodically grease them, and now you know how to swap the seals for next to nothing it's really not a problem if you end up doing it every few years. Just have a spare set of seals and an 'O' ring in the spares kit.

I wouldn't bother with anything other than the bog standard Nitrile seals. You don't need the extended temperature range and the seal will fail through lack of lubrication in the end. With all the will in the world, it's almost impossible to adequately lubricate these and I don't think water is that great a lubricant.

They last pretty well so long as you periodically grease them, and now you know how to swap the seals for next to nothing it's really not a problem if you end up doing it every few years. Just have a spare set of seals and an 'O' ring in the spares kit.

That is what I will be doing.

I was told by another boater last week that the brass (i think it is brass) bearing immediately behind the seals had worn on his (the brass bearing inside the rubber tube, not the cutless), so he was replacing the whole lot; rubber tube, bearing and front seals. 170 quid I believe. Can be done afloat still he said. 9 years old and high mileage.