reccomendations/advice please

grannykins

Featured Posts

This year we have about 3 single weeks off together, but have also managed to get a fortnight together the last week of June/first week of July. We are moored in Ashwood basin on the Staffs and Worcester, and were wondering if anyone has any suggestions for our fortnight. We wouldnt want to be doing 8 hours every day, but would be doing probably at least 5 hours and wouldnt mind up to 8 some days. We really would like to take the opportunity to go further or do a ring we wouldnt be able to do if only out for a week. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

How about Four counties ring plus a trip up the Caldon?

How about going down the Severn to Tewksbury, up the Avon to Stratford and back home through Birmingham.

How about doing the Droitwich then up to Gas Street on The Worcs and Birmingham, Then Fazeley, Fradley, Great Heywood and home

Oh the possibilities are endless in the Midlands! I hope you have a great time!

nick

Thanks for that. Not sure about the rivers though - I have an irrational worry about going on rivers. I had a look in the canal guide books to check out the routes and it was full of weirs and strong flows! I know we're in a cruiser so should be fine but, I just have this worry.

I will go and look at the other routes.

Thanks for that. Not sure about the rivers though - I have an irrational worry about going on rivers. I had a look in the canal guide books to check out the routes and it was full of weirs and strong flows! I know we're in a cruiser so should be fine but, I just have this worry.

I will go and look at the other routes.

I'm the same about rivers, won't touch them.

Hi, Grannykins,

We also moor at Ashwood.

Two weeks on your own boat will actually give 16 days cruising.

We also find canals more relaxing than rivers, although the River Avon is beautiful and totally different to the narrow midland canals, however it does rise quickly after rainfall and visitor moorings are not plentiful so five hours cruising per day and moor up in early afternoon is the way to do it.

If you haven’t done it, the Wolverhampton level (old main line) of the BCNS is worth doing, up the Wolverhampton 21 and then keep on that level to Smethwick going through Tipton and under the M5, much more interesting than it sounds. We did that and then went down to Stratford-on-Avon via Lapworth and back to Ashwood by returning the same way except for coming back through Netherton tunnel and the Stourbridge 16. We didn’t go on the Avon as it had rained too much. The South Stratford is well worth doing, very pretty with barrel roofed cottages and bridges that look too narrow to get through.

If you haven’t done the Stourport ring, don’t be put off by the fifty-eight locks on the Worcester & Birmingham, they are generally small and easy but probably best to do them as part of the Stourport ring rather than an up and down cruise and that would involve a few hours on the River Severn with some sort of anchor which you may not possess.

I like the Shroppie and the trip to Llangollen or Chester, or alternatively make for the Anderton Lift. The Narrow Locks on the Shroppie are generally in flights and so for a lot of its length you can cruise for hours at a time without stopping, handy if you need to make up time, just keep the steerer topped up with tea and coffee.