Burscough boatmen's familes

Capt Col

Featured Posts

Hi all,

If anyone is about the Burscough area on Monday evening, 13th January we have the Ist history meeting of the Burscough Heritage Group of the new year.

We are welcoming the speaker, Bill Huyton from the Ormskirk and district Family History society who have done a lot of work on recording family history of Burscough boatmen.

All welcome to the Ring o Bells pub from 8pm, and we'll be asking for a donation of £2 from none members.

(We've put the start time back a bit so we can use a bigger down stairs room).

Hi all,

If anyone is about the Burscough area on Monday evening, 13th January we have the Ist history meeting of the Burscough Heritage Group of the new year.

We are welcoming the speaker, Bill Huyton from the Ormskirk and district Family History society who have done a lot of work on recording family history of Burscough boatmen.

All welcome to the Ring o Bells pub from 8pm, and we'll be asking for a donation of £2 from none members.

(We've put the start time back a bit so we can use a bigger down stairs room).

Completely off topic.

I was born in Ormskirk and used to live in Huyton. What's the chances of the two appearing in one post? My dad was a Police Constable in them there days.

Back on topic. I can't get to Buscough, but I would have liked to do.

Martyn

• 1 month later...

Hi

This is my first posting as a new member, and my interest is genealogical research regarding my grandmother's canal boat family background.

They were the Webster family who originated in the Lydiate, Downholland, and Halsall region on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, and Sharrocks from Rufford/Burscough.

My great grandfather Thomas Webster was born at Astley (1871) near Leigh on the Bridgewater Canal, and worked on the Rochdale Canal in the early years of the 20th century. I'm very keen on learning more about them and have contributed a considerable amount of information to the Boat Families - Ormskirk & District FHS.

Any information about them and photographs would be very much appreciated.