Satellite system

IanisB

Featured Posts

Please offer advice.

For our next boat I am planning to go for Sky+ based system (the recordable digital thingy that avoids the need for a video, and also not having a "normal" tv set with aerial. The dish will deliver the channels, a flatscreen with integral dvd to deliver the sound and pictures.

Is this possible? How do I get sky+ box and subscription to a continually cruised narrowboat?

I'm sure lots of people have already done this. What do I need to consider?

Many thanks.

Please offer advice. 

For our next boat I am planning to go for Sky+ based system (the recordable digital thingy that avoids the need for a video, and also not having a "normal" tv set with aerial.  The dish will deliver the channels, a flatscreen with integral dvd to deliver the sound and pictures.

Is this possible?  How do I get sky+ box and subscription to a continually cruised narrowboat?

I'm sure lots of people have already done this.  What do I need to consider?

Many thanks.

As far as I know this cannot be done. The contract with sky requires the digi box to be connected to a telephone line. I have upgraded to sky plus with the intention of using the second box on the boat, only to be charged another full subscription instead of the discounted rate because the box had no telephone connected.

You are also required to have an address with a postcode. I suppose if you were to buy a digi box outright, as opposed to buying one through Sky and only have the one box, and get it set up at a shore base before you moved on board, providing you keep the subscriptions up to date, it should be OK. Sky will not like it though. If I need to watch Sky I have to take the second box from home and return it back to home for it to be connected back on the telephone line as I don't need to pay two full subscriptions for the limited amount that I watch Sky when on the boat.

I thought the phone line was only there for when you purchased films for sky box office etc? If this is the case you can leave it disconnected.

Does anyone know of a good normal sky system for a boat?

gary

As Far as I am aware you are only required to have your line connected to the digibox in the first year of the contract. As previously stated ..without the line then no PPV etc.

JK

Hi all.

First You must have a permanent UK address to order your subscription through.

You then need to purchase your own non subsidised receiver either a brand new one from a supplier or a 2nd hand one, loads are available from the car boot sales.

You can't have a free subsidised receiver on a boat because the contract requires you maintain a Phone connection for 12 months and they can send a kill signal to the card if you are in breech of contract.

You then ring Sky and subscribe to the packages you wish to view stressing you already own a non subsidised receiver. (If they do not understand ask to speak to a supervisor they should know the procedure better)

Most of these measures are to avoid the export of UK sky cards out of the UK but if you have a non subsidised receiver and a permanent UK address Sky do not have a problem.

Don't be tempted to try to be clever and get hold of another "free" box Sky does have ways of dealing with people who try this!

This info is definitely correct we sell and install systems on boats and keep to Sky's rules.

Gary

Gary

Thanks. IT seems I can have Sky providing I have an address (as per banking etc) and I pay full whack (no discounted offers). No problem.

So who are you/your company if you instal satellite systems onboard?

Also, is it possible to have the Sky+ digibox system where you can watch one channel and record another? I wish to avoid a VCR. So, can the aerial deliver the two feeds necessary?

Thanks again.

Ian

For Sky+ you need to have a Dual output LNB on the Dish it also doubles up on the cable needs but is still relatively simple to do. (However Sky do charge you extra for the + element of the Sky package)

A simple manual dish setup is definitely a DIY job don't bother paying anybody to install it.

The motorised systems from TELECO are very good if you have deep pockets and these two are not beyond the skills of the average DIY er.

The site below supplies non subsidised receivers.

Noncontract Receivers.

Alternatively we can offer off the shelf or tailored to your requierments systems here-

Ledgard Bridge Online Shop

Hope this is helpful, if you need anymore advice or help drop me an email.

Gary

Gary

Thanks.  IT seems I can have Sky providing I have an address (as per banking etc) and I pay full whack (no discounted offers).  No problem.

So who are you/your company if you instal satellite systems onboard?

Also, is it possible to have the Sky+ digibox system where you can watch one channel and record another?  I wish to avoid a VCR.  So, can the aerial deliver the two feeds necessary?

Thanks again.

Ian

As it's not advertised much I thought I'd mention the FreeSat service from Sky

http://www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/

I purchased a Camping Sat kit and Pace minibox from

http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/index.html

at the NEC show last year. At the time you could only get the "Free to air" unencrypted channels and not ITV, Channel 4, or Five, so I got a good deal. Finally Sky started their FreeSat service, and for £20 for 3 years I now have a card that gives me access to the "Free to view" channels as well.

I wouldn't particularly recommend either my dish or box. The Pace minibox may be small and run off 12v but it doen't have an RGB output, though this is not a major issue on boat size TVs. The suction mount with the dish doesn't seem to be reliable in cold weather so I now using it with the pole clamp.

But it does solve my problem of not having a decent TV signal in Shireoaks marina,

Phil

Not entirely sure what you want from this system - is it primarily to do away with a VCR or is it to have Sky?

If you want Sky, then clearly a Sky box is necessary, but you can purchase a Freeview box with built in HDD (Hard Disc Drive) to enable recording.

Depending upon the recording quality required and the HDD size, you can record over 100 hours on one of these.

A DVD Recorder would then allow you to archive stuff you want to keep onto DVD.

Thus, no VCR.

The DVD Recorder would of course allow you to play CDs, DVD films, photoCDs and so you could do away with a seperate CD player as well.

Of course, you also get radio through a Freeview box, so in theory, once you have this setup together with a screen and one of those active speaker systems (5.1 for surround) you have got digital TV, Radio (not DAB), DVD, CD and the ability to record.

http://www.roadpro.co.uk/products.asp?LID=1288

We had a system from Road Pro, and have been very pleased with it. We've had it 3 years now, but at the time they produced very readable literature explaining all the ins and outs of how to do it, with and without a phone line. Well worth investigation. They usually exibit at Crick show.

hope this helps :lol:

Rose