Batteries, what to do next?

Featured Posts

Yup,

Night before last it registered 11.02 volts after 24 hours and 46amps so I think the batteries are defunct.

I am now into the advantages of Gel against AGM and lead acid and yes a much smaller bank - 40 amps per day allowing a safety factor of 40 amps = 80 amps to discharged therefore I am proposing to get 2 batteries for the main bank ASAP so any thoughts much appreciated.

I see there is another thread on this - I will go an look at that now.

As a precaution I will change the starter battery at the same time.

Big thanks to all, it helps to have an informed sounding board.

Please, please make sure that you either get you Amp-hour counter correctly set up for your bank AND make sure the batteries are fully charged often enough and the monitor is recalibrated OR ignore the state of charge and go by the combination of charging current and voltage to assess the state of charge. It is almost monthly we hear of people who have ruined their batteries by believing such meters that have not been setup and recalibrated properly.

The usual choices for off grid liveaboards are non sealed leisure batts or the proper semi traction batts like Trojan T105 and US Battery US2200.

The latter type benefit from periodic equalisation charges as recommended by the mft to get the best out of them. Also both types benefit from a long 6-8hr weekly charge to make up for shorter day to day charging that may not get them to 100% charged.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete
  • Greenie 1

Thanks again I've finally decided to get: -

3 x 110Ah Lucas Batteries - one as starter two as domestic.

The charger should be OK - not too strong - it does stepped charging based on absorption (so it says) Victron Centaur.

I will remember to reset the monitor - I do this whenever I can guarantee 100% charge, 24 hours in a marina or after a full day cruising.

My only worry is that the bank may be at the bottom end of the capacity for the charger but I think that will be OK.

We should have enough power for the odd bit of inverting fro PC printing, again Laptops are charged when cruising sometimes 240 volt use is very low.

I will continue to monitor for some time to come.

I opted for the 'ordinary' sealed battery agains AGM or Gel as the cost implications set against battery life and reliability didn't really add up.

I would hope this is the last you'll hear from me on this one as a problem and future posts will be positive isn't it great - but then this is a boat :-)

There is every chance that your Lucas batteries are not sealed but only look as if they are.

Inspect the battery top and see if there is one long strip or two shorter strips about 1" wide running along the centre or one or two raised sections. If so they will probably lever out to reveal the cells. Very useful if your charger gets its voltage in absorption a bit high so you need to top them up.