whats out there for 20k

maty

Featured Posts

some very nice boats there , im going to great haywood in the morning to look at boat called the arches and ill try and pop over to norbury in the afternoon as there some nice looking boats , just trying to get a feel for the market

Nobody has mentioned survey costs.

You need to budget for the cost of a survey. Expect to pay at least £300 for a surveyor plus haulout fee and maybe for a pressure wash as well. The surveyor will tell you if the hull is sound. Haulout fees depend on the region, someone here can tell you about prices in the midlands.

40-45ft will be ample for space. I lived on a 32ft boat for a while but it was very crowded.

I have put aside around 2k for lifting and survey possible blacking , insurance , possible licence , also for my 1st quarter of mooring

my tick list

boat of 40ft preferred possibly stretching to 50ft ( but open minded )

recent survey would be good

good safety cert

common engine

storage would also be something ill be looking for

something with a good 12v system when finally I move from marina but also have 240

I have put aside around 2k for lifting and survey possible blacking , insurance , possible licence , also for my 1st quarter of mooring

my tick list

boat of 40ft preferred possibly stretching to 50ft ( but open minded )

recent survey would be good

good safety cert

common engine

storage would also be something ill be looking for

something with a good 12v system when finally I move from marina but also have 240

This is sort of stating the obvious, but you have to remember that the cheaper the boat the greater the proportion of its value is in the hull. £20,000 isn't the bottom of the market but it is reaching the stage where the condition of the hull is really all that matters. Put another way, if I could buy a boat with a really sound hull for £17,000 I wouldn't care what was inside it, or what the engine was like, so for £20,000 I'd expect something with a decent hull that needs a bit of tidying, and with some life left in the engine.

Having said this, be wary of anything that needs a complete repaint, doing it professionally is very expensive, doing it yourself is a major undertaking. There are a lot of nice looking boats on the 'net that look cheap and it's often because the photos flatter the paintwork - unless it is really bad, flaking paint and rust doesn't show.