Coolant capacity? (Liverpool / Isuzu 35)

boots

Featured Posts

Hi,

I'm sure this must have come up before but afraid my attempts with the search have so far failed.

would like to refresh the coolant on our boat - Liverpool Boats + Isuzu 35; but wondering just how much coolant is in there - to give an indication of how much ntifreeze I need to buy and also how much of the 'old' stuff I will need to get rid off (does anyone know if local waste tips take it?).

Does any one have any experience of this?

Currently it has the 'blue' stuff, but wouldn't mind replacing with Pink - if you do this, how thoroughly do you need to flush it through?

(and any tips how to get the old stuff out appreciated :) )

cheers,

Martin

Hi,

Our boat is based on a LB sailaway with an Isuzu 33. Last engine coolant change was 12-13 litres. Daventry waste disposal site, local to the boat, takes the old stuff - suggest you check your local authority website for waste disposal sites to see where you can dispose of it.

ETA: Easiest way I've found is to take a hose off the bottom of the skin tank (with bilge pump switched off) and allow to drain. Then switch the bilge pump on and catch the antifreeze in buckets, and decant into containers to take to the tip.

Edited by peter n

The EA advice is that the old coolant, well diluted with water, can go into any drain connected with a water treatment facility. This means your nearest lavatory, provided it drains in to a municipal sewer and not, for example, into a cesspit.

Hi,

Our boat is based on a LB sailaway with an Isuzu 33. Last engine coolant change was 12-13 litres. Daventry waste disposal site, local to the boat, takes the old stuff - suggest you check your local authority website for waste disposal sites to see where you can dispose of it.

ETA: Easiest way I've found is to take a hose off the bottom of the skin tank (with bilge pump switched off) and allow to drain. Then switch the bilge pump on and catch the antifreeze in buckets, and decant into containers to take to the tip.

Thanks for this - will be checking the 'tip' - though as sods law would have it - the local one has just closed so need to find the next nearest.

Will be reviewing the situation as to how to get the old stuff out - hopefully soon, but would rather 'pump' out than let it into the bilge (not a big deal but the last visit involved cleaning it all out :)

The old stuff is 'blue' and thinking of changing to pink - anyone know how thoroughly you need to rinse out the old stuff (I believe they wont mix) or is it just not worth the effort and best to stay with blue?