motorcycle rack on N.B

the Yorkies

Featured Posts

How will you get the motorbike to the boat?

Um ... not sure what you mean? ... some sections of towpath have gates to stop naughty boys and girls hurtling along them on motorcycles and, presumably, those other bizarre two wheeled contraptions without an engine .... these gates are accessible for wheelchair / mobility scooter users via a radar key. Sometimes one of these gates will be in between where I have moored and the nearest road access. So I unload the bike, push it to the gate ... unlock and push it through the gate and onto the road to go off and buy supplies or just have a little explore. Getting back to the boat is a reverse of the above.

I downsized to a small trialy to make all this easy on my poor old back ... and have huge amounts of fun on my little KE100 wub.png ....( but keep some bigger bikes on land too when I need to travel long distances or faster than 60mph ... flat out, on the tank, with the wind behind me wink.png )

But try to avoid this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhHqd5ki70M

Getting close to water on a bike always worries me. If it starts falling whilst you are loading, you ain't stopping it!

Gosh .... that must have been scary ohmy.png ....I have fallen victim to the "ooops I forgot the panniers" scenario on a couple of embarrassing occasions, involving bollards or filtering through motorway traffic jams .... again a lightweight small bike is easier to keep upright on an uneven towpath .... dropped my old XS1100 ("The Sex Pest" as she was affectionately known smile.png ) a couple of times and that needed three people to get back up again, once she started to go down, there was no way you could argue with her ......

my other Top Tip is to always load or unload alongside the boat, especially heavy stuff like bags of coal or starter batteries (yes, I have done it biggrin.png ) so if the bike does start to go it will hit the side of the boat and not go splash

All towpaths are unsuitable for m/bikes surely.

BWB warden by us used to ride a BSA Bantam along his patch of the L&L towpath in the '60's. I wouldn't like to ride a motorcycle on some towpaths though!

I would like this for boat use:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-WISP-MOPED-SHOPPER-1960s-SHOWROOM-CONDITION-ALL-COMPLETELY-ORIGINAL-/111343954551?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19ec9dea77

Edited by Guest

BWB warden by us used to ride a BSA Bantam along his patch of the L&L towpath in the '60's. I wouldn't like to ride a motorcycle on some towpaths though!

I would like this for boat use:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-WISP-MOPED-SHOPPER-1960s-SHOWROOM-CONDITION-ALL-COMPLETELY-ORIGINAL-/111343954551?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item19ec9dea77

Now that you mention it we did see a canal warden on a bike once and thought it a good idea. However I would expect them to be careful and courteous on the path, unlike some I've seen roaring along with no regard for other users. BTW I'm a biker.

Bob