Consumer Unit

Featured Posts

For a narrowboat a reasonable solution would be an RCCB (often referred to and labelled as an RCD) followed by a 16A MCB, both can often be had in a 'garage consumer unit'

I think it's good practice to ensure the boat loading cannot exceed the rating of the shoreline socket, on a narrowboat feeding everything through a 16A MCB will achieve this.

A better solution for an narrowboat and very likely mandatory for boats that travel further afield, would be an RCCB followed by a 2 pole MCB, in case a supply is reversed.

RCBOs can be a bit of a minefield so probably best stick to separate RCCB and MCB if at all poss.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I like the garage consumer units, and have one on our boat.

I too would avoid RCBO's, and keep the RCCB and MCB separate.

RCBOs can be a bit of a minefield so probably best stick to separate RCCB and MCB if at all poss.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I like the garage consumer units, and have one on our boat.

I too would avoid RCBO's, and keep the RCCB and MCB separate.

That's two suggestions in favour of using separate breaker and RCD instead of a single RCBO huh.png - can I ask what the problem is with the latter if they are suitably rated double pole devices?