Want to enclose my cruiser/semitrad stern.

Mac

Featured Posts

Hello everyone!

I have a boat that has a stern which is a cross between a cruiser and a semitrad. It has a very squaure back and is very open.

back.jpg

I would like to enclose it a bit, have side doors/gates and make greater use of the space.

I would also like to raise the floor!

I'm thinking of timber; would it have to be hardwood?

Having viewed the valuable input from this forum, I would be very grateful for any comments, advice and guidance please?

Many thanks

Mac

Hello everyone!

I have a boat that has a stern which is a cross between a cruiser and a semitrad. It has a very squaure back and is very open.

I would like to enclose it a bit, have side doors/gates and make greater use of the space.

I would also like to raise the floor!

I'm thinking of timber; would it have to be hardwood?

Having viewed the valuable input from this forum, I would be very grateful for any comments, advice and guidance please?

Many thanks

Mac

A pleasure. B&Q have picket fencing panels to put around the stern and when they are fitted you can get away with using old wooden pallets to raise the flooring level. All these components are good for the boat as any water collected will drain off thorough the holes. The panels and pallets can be colour co-ordinated with the rest of the boat colour scheme so to camouflage any defects in the fitted components.

depends on your budget.

it would look great if you could get hold of some vertical mahogany staves to fit under the stern rail, and fix them in place by bolting to steel strips welded to the deck and under the rail. teak is even better, doesn't need varnish. and a teak grating on the deck.

how much do you want to spend?

depends on your budget.

it would look great if you could get hold of some vertical mahogany staves to fit under the stern rail, and fix them in place by bolting to steel strips welded to the deck and under the rail. teak is even better, doesn't need varnish. and a teak grating on the deck.

how much do you want to spend?

the boat next door to me is a semitrad stern and they have got a collapsable hatch over the back of theirs - you could do the same? The covered area acts as a erm... porch type thing. I would post piccies but my camera is at the doctors after it had a fall.

Hi Chris and thanks for ideas?

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but hopefully using softwood for cost!

Thanks again

Mac

Hi Bones and thanks for idea!

How high was this build and would it be taken down in summer?

I could build a permanent fixture, a bit like a barge type, but what is the maximum hight I could go?

thanks again

Mac

Hi Chris and thanks for ideas?

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but hopefully using softwood for cost!

Thanks again

Mac

Hi Bones and thanks for idea!

How high was this build and would it be taken down in summer?

I could build a permanent fixture, a bit like a barge type, but what is the maximum hight I could go?

thanks again

Mac

it looks totally dismantable and folds down anyway. The guy next door can stand in his and he must be 6ft. I'll see if I can borrow a camera and take a pic for you tomorrow - a picture tells a thousand words and probably a zillion of mine! It looks good - if you like that sort of thing.

If i was going to do it, i would proberbly go for boarding upto the rail, and then a 'soft top' canopy over that.

- Ive have seen folding fully boarded over attempts, but never one that looks any good!

- That said, the wheelhouse on EM is basical that, a semi trad, with a folding hardtop. So whatever...

Daniel

If i was going to do it, i would proberbly go for boarding upto the rail, and then a 'soft top' canopy over that.

- Ive have seen folding fully boarded over attempts, but never one that looks any good!

- That said, the wheelhouse on EM is basical that, a semi trad, with a folding hardtop. So whatever...

Daniel

ah yes, that reminds me - I must take some pictures! There is an example of a soft top over the way as well so I shall endeavour to snap a pic of that too.