Lamps and stereos on liveaboard ccing!

Moonchild

Featured Posts

Hi all

Could I have some advice if poss on lamps from house shall i just get rid of them,are they too much of a drain on battery?Same applies to normal stereo before I sort out something thats 12v, should i take on the boat or give away?Thanks guys!!

Take them with you and see how you get on but as John says change the lamps (bulbs) to low energy fluorescents or LED, they can still be used on 240v.

As for the Stereo that depends on its wattage ( not the speakers the actual unit) and how long you have it on.

Then you have to factor in the size of your battery bank and the means to re-charge the batteries.

Last Christmas, I was lucky enough to be given a Jawbone Jambox.

https://jawbone.com/speakers

It is absolutely brilliant for use on the boat. Linking via bluetooth to either my phone or laptop, and recharging via the same adapter as my Samsung Galaxy II.

The quality of sound is stunning from something so small (they do do a larger one if you need more ooomph) and it has effectively replaced a much larger portable CD player freeing up valuable space.

Put one on your Christmas list.

I converted our table lamp to low voltage (24v in our case) using a incandescent 'bus bulb' which uses a lot more electricity than an LED but as we normally cruse a fair bit and dont have to use the table lamp we can spare it and it gives a much nicer light. Rest of the lighting is 2D florescents. LEDs also often give off much less light that the original fitting, so be aware of sizes/ratings.

Daniel