Chesterfield Canal , Water Level ?

sooty

Featured Posts

Hello,

Planning to do the chesterfield canal in 2 weeks time.

How is the water level this year ? did a bit of it (to Drake Holes) 2 years ago and it was very low.

Any ' not to be missed' places ?

Any places to avoid ?

What are the moorings like in Worksop and Retford ?

Any info greatly appreciated Steve.

We did the length from the Trent up to lock 59 over easter this year. The water level was such that we could only proceed at tickover for long sections due to dragging the skeg along the bottom. Most people say do the Chesterfield before the weed gets going. Saying that we had to clear the prop at least once a day. As a canal, I enjoyed it. But in places it needs dredging and the banks restoring.

Mick

We did the length from the Trent up to lock 59 over easter this year. The water level was such that we could only proceed at tickover for long sections due to dragging the skeg along the bottom. Most people say do the Chesterfield before the weed gets going. Saying that we had to clear the prop at least once a day. As a canal, I enjoyed it. But in places it needs dredging and the banks restoring.

Mick

Am sure Cheshire Rose will be along soon but I was of the understanding that it had been dredged last year.

I also understand the pub at Drakeholes is now closed.. but don't let that put you off its a beautiful canal. Not sure if all this rain will affect the River Trent though.

• Greenie 1

Why does everyone think I am an authority on this canal? I have not even been along most of it!

Much of the worst areas were dredged last winter. Certainly python ( with her draught of 3' 3") had no problems at all with passage as she left the canal in spring.

They did a significant amount of weed cutting last year too with 3 machines on the job and while I know weed can and will grow back CRT are doing a great job of managing and maintaining the canal.

For a run down on what not to miss use Google to find Margaret Merridale's blog 'Huffler" is the name of her boat. They spent a month on the canal in May and there are lots of snippets of information for you if you locate that section of her blog.

When you get to Shire Oaks you have to try the Bakewell Tart at Laura's cafe.

It is also well worth a cycle ride or a buss trip and walk to see what's going on with the restoration at the other end. Perhaps combine with a trip to Barrow Round House if you like steam trains

The Chesterfield Canal Trust website has tons of information on it but if you need specific details about an area then it is worth using the "contact" page as all the officers linked in are passionate about ensuring that people enjoy their visit

Why does everyone think I am an authority on this canal? I have not even been along most of it!

Much of the worst areas were dredged last winter. Certainly python ( with her draught of 3' 3") had no problems at all with passage as she left the canal in spring.

They did a significant amount of weed cutting last year too with 3 machines on the job and while I know weed can and will grow back CRT are doing a great job of managing and maintaining the canal.

For a run down on what not to miss use Google to find Margaret Merridale's blog 'Huffler" is the name of her boat. They spent a month on the canal in May and there are lots of snippets of information for you if you locate that section of her blog.

When you get to Shire Oaks you have to try the Bakewell Tart at Laura's cafe.

It is also well worth a cycle ride or a buss trip and walk to see what's going on with the restoration at the other end. Perhaps combine with a trip to Barrow Round House if you like steam trains

The Chesterfield Canal Trust website has tons of information on it but if you need specific details about an area then it is worth using the "contact" page as all the officers linked in are passionate about ensuring that people enjoy their visit

Err cos you are wink.png See your post above............expert I'd say smile.png

Edited by tillergirl