Does Cart Want Canals Restored?

Dank

Featured Posts

I’m beginning to wonder if the CaRT management at Newark is secretly trying to stop the Grantham Canal from being restored. Just being one of the other ranks perhaps I don’t have the full picture but I certainly am being brassed off by what I hear through the grapevine. Firstly there was the dredger ‘Mudlark’ which the society purchased off BW (As it was then). Being in a bit of a state having lain unused for years it was lovingly tended to and restored and re-launched on the Grantham canal on the navigable section between Woolsthorpe and Grantham. Well light blue touch paper and retire. CaRT as it was now threw a hissy fit, initially insisting that it be removed from their waterway. In the end they did relent, but BW were fully aware of why the society wanted a dredger and what was going to happen to it when they sold it to us. As it stands now the society can use ‘Mudlark’ provided a months notice is given and CaRT approve.

Use of the trip boat is now being curtailed because the canal is so silted up and overgrown navigation of the top section is becoming increasingly difficult. Is CaRT doing anything about it bar put obstacles in the societies way – of course not.

Otherwise there are pages of restrictions as to what the society can and cannot do without permission. Loads of other paperwork is now required proving competence and training of staff as well as maintenance records of equipment which although basically relevant appears to be well over and above H&S and common sense requirements.

The final straw is finding out that after the society has gone to the trouble of raising funds and organising new gates to be made and installed for the bottom of lock 18 at Woolsthorpe, (The top gates were done last year) the method and safety statements for crane operators, scaffolders and all others involved have been collated by the society and are to be forwarded to Cart as required. Cart is now demanding £600 to read through these documents.

Spleen vented but I would be interested to know if this situation is the same all over.

Im beginning to wonder if the CaRT management at Newark is secretly trying to stop the Grantham Canal from being restored. Just being one of the other ranks perhaps I dont have the full picture but I certainly am being brassed off by what I hear through the grapevine. Firstly there was the dredger Mudlark which the society purchased off BW (As it was then). Being in a bit of a state having lain unused for years it was lovingly tended to and restored and re-launched on the Grantham canal on the navigable section between Woolsthorpe and Grantham. Well light blue touch paper and retire. CaRT as it was now threw a hissy fit, initially insisting that it be removed from their waterway. In the end they did relent, but BW were fully aware of why the society wanted a dredger and what was going to happen to it when they sold it to us. As it stands now the society can use Mudlark provided a months notice is given and CaRT approve.

Use of the trip boat is now being curtailed because the canal is so silted up and overgrown navigation of the top section is becoming increasingly difficult. Is CaRT doing anything about it bar put obstacles in the societies way of course not.

Otherwise there are pages of restrictions as to what the society can and cannot do without permission. Loads of other paperwork is now required proving competence and training of staff as well as maintenance records of equipment which although basically relevant appears to be well over and above H&S and common sense requirements.

The final straw is finding out that after the society has gone to the trouble of raising funds and organising new gates to be made and installed for the bottom of lock 18 at Woolsthorpe, (The top gates were done last year) the method and safety statements for crane operators, scaffolders and all others involved have been collated by the society and are to be forwarded to Cart as required. Cart is now demanding £600 to read through these documents.

Spleen vented but I would be interested to know if this situation is the same all over.

J. Pritchett?

Email your concerns to the waterways manager, Sean McGinley. "sean.mcginley@canalrivertrust.org.uk"

Why not contact others in your situation like on the Montgomery and see how they fair. Must say they do sound very negative. Maybe they don't want another canal to maintain.

Edited by bigste

I used the Montgomery last August and spoke to a few of the volunteers. No one mentioned any problems save that they could do with a few more volunteers to assist with what they still wanted to complete.

There was a full time lady that worked the locks giving access to the branch and she was assisted by volunteers.

Very frustrating and annoying but look at it another way, C&RT who have responsibility for the canal, do not want just any group of people having a go at restoring a canal.

Grapevines are a wonderful thing for growing grapes, not information.

It would be better to get the true picture from the canal society and C&RT.

Very frustrating and annoying but look at it another way, C&RT who have responsibility for the canal, do not want just any group of people having a go at restoring a canal.

Grapevines are a wonderful thing for growing grapes, not information.

It would be better to get the true picture from the canal society and C&RT.

Are the Canal society going to risk further alienating Cart by criticising them? Probably not.