Jabsco pump - blowing the fuse

mkn777er

Featured Posts

I have just replaced my old and sometimes rough running Shurflo 12v pump with a Jabsco par 4. This is a slightly lower pressure but higher output and was recommended to me by Jabsco. The installation was simple, old one out, new one in and the Jabsco ran straight away. But, on two occasions now it has caused the 15 amp fuse to blow - and this is the correct amp fuse as stated on the pump body. It seems to be the switching on, switching off process that is causing it blow as opposed to continuous running.

IS this an indication of a faulty pump (which I would have thought unlikely) or is it something that I may have done wrong during installation?

There are different types of fuses so I don't know if that could be your problem. There are fuses that are fast blow as well as slow blow, both being the same rating of 15 amp. All appliances use more current on start up so I guess you may have a fast blow fuse when you need a slow blow. I'm no sparky so maybe someone else can help.

Is the wiring adequate? Motors take a high current to start, and if the wiring is a bit skinny it might drag the voltage down and take longer to get past the high current starting stage than it should, long enough to blow the fuse. Just a guess.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. Over the weekend I emailed Jabsco and they have just responded. They say it should not blow the fuse and 15amp is correct. They also say provided the pressure switch has not been adjusted then I should return it and it will be checked. I don't even know where the pressure switch is so that has not been changed. But it got me thinking. I have installed it without an in-line water filter, deciding to get a new one which is yet to arrive. By not having one of those, is that having the same effect as adjusting the pressure switch? Again, my simple brain tells me not because the water is supplied from the tank with only gravity pressure.

Thanks for your thoughts - just trying to find the simplest solution as I don't really want to have to put the old one back in!