recommend a surveyor near thorne

songbird2

Featured Posts

Hello Boaters

I have today put in an offer on a boat at Thorne nr Doncaster. Can anyone recommend a good surveyor. I confess I am a bit of a novice so I am relying on someone who will check everything and talk to me about what they find. It will be out of the water at Bluewater Marina. Any advice gratefully received

Mike is very thorough on hull etc. He surveyed two of our boats and was great. Not as convinced of his thoroughness on interior fittings and fitout - he missed insulation faults with ours- now that I know more, all the evidence was there to see.

Also as with any surveyor make sure you are there and ask questions- the informal discussions are far more informative than the formal info a surveyor can commit to in his report.

Mike is very thorough on hull etc. He surveyed two of our boats and was great. Not as convinced of his thoroughness on interior fittings and fitout - he missed insulation faults with ours- now that I know more, all the evidence was there to see.

Also as with any surveyor make sure you are there and ask questions- the informal discussions are far more informative than the formal info a surveyor can commit to in his report.

I don't think that is uncommon to be honest and is our experience too, though to be clear not with that particular surveyor.

Now that I know more about how boats and how things should work I think I wouldn't bother with anything other than a hull survey only in the future. (Not something that is always an option though if you are needing finance in particular to fund the purchase).

The rest I would check myself with the enlisted help of another trusted/knowledgeable pair of eyes.

I don't think that is uncommon to be honest and is our experience too, though to be clear not with that particular surveyor.

Now that I know more about how boats and how things should work I think I wouldn't bother with anything other than a hull survey only in the future. (Not something that is always an option though if you are needing finance in particular to fund the purchase).

The rest I would check myself with the enlisted help of another trusted/knowledgeable pair of eyes.

Surely a surveyor is the trusted and hopefully knowledgeable pair of eyes many choose to enlist? For a fee.

Surely a surveyor is the trusted and hopefully knowledgeable pair of eyes many choose to enlist? For a fee.

That is the theory of course, agreed. No doubt there are ones who would be so.

However I find the get out clauses around not removing or dismantling stuff a bit disconcerting.

For example If a boat seller was happy for you to whip the mattress off the bed and peer around the holding tank with a torch to see if it was leaking when the loo was flushed then why not do so?

I'm not saying ours was when the boat was surveyed but it was discovered by us very soon after we got the boat and I've always had a nagging doubt it was an issue when we bought it.