Crew Offered

jimbo747

Featured Posts

Hi,

I've got a couple of weeks off in August but my partner and step daughter are going to Greece with family and my own kids aren't about, so i'm at a loose end. Dates are 3rd to 17th.

I thought i'd mention that if anybody wants crew to move a boat, i'd be very willing to help out. I'm 42 and fit, so a day of locking doesn't bother me. I don't own a boat, but i have probably totted up 15-20 weeks afloat over the last twenty years or so. I've also done lots of sailing (once owned a 26 footer) and have a Yachtmaster Offshore ticket. Incidentally i'm happy to operate locks all day long, since although i can get a boat in and out of a lock with few problems, i can't promise i won't leave paint behind.

About me: 42 years old, masters degree in business, IT project/programme manager by trade. Live in Dorset, work 2-3 days a week in London, have three teenage kids of my own, the outcome of a 15 year (sadly now broken down) marriage and i recently acquired a step daughter. Non smoker, don't really drink, try not to eat late (minor medical problem), shower every day (when possible) and wear deodorant (unlike most of the summer users of the Tube). Love conversation, books, the outdoors, hate football and curry. Oh, and I have never knifed anybody to death in their sleep.

In return for a free holiday, my labour, I ask only a bed, clean toilet facilities and no large smelly dogs. I love dogs, just not smelly ones. Obviously if you are a devastatingly attractive under 40 year old single female, i'll have to decline for obvious reasons.

Will pay my own board and can travel anywhere in the country.

James.

• 1 month later...

I am slowly working a 72' traditional wooden narrow boat from Oxford via London (don't ask) to Cheshire. Accommodation is bloody sparse a fantastic opportunity to re-live the past just how it was, except you do get a real double bed all to yourself (but beware if you sleep walk - some of the boards are loose).

Leaving paint/tar/pieces of hull behind is actually a requirement as the Canal and River Trust have not kept up there upkeep on locks as much as they should (though some would say she has sagged over time and is thus a little fat for some locks), and food is quite cheap as you are very limited to what you can cook on a single burner.

I am also 42, YMce etc, and by coincidence have never knifed anybody in their sleep either...

James

Edited by Greymarauder