Internet: options, performance etc.

Ricco1

Featured Posts

I don't intend to work too much when I buy my liveaboard. But I may do a few hours a week, just to keep my money topped up

I teach English as a foreign language, there are possibilities to do this via the internet. Basically you are 'hooked up' with a student on Skype video or something similar. Obviously, you need an internet connection that's powerful and reliable enough to complete the one hour lessons without hitches.

Now I'm not technically minded as regards speeds etc. so I'd welcome practical advice rather than being quoted too much technical stuff. In a nutshell, can you get an internet connection on a narrow boat, continuously cruising, that would enable me to do this? If so, If I spent 6 or so hours a week doing Skype video calls, what might it cost me?

Thanks

I have just got a MiFi unit from EE, cost depends on the plan you take out, either you buy the unit yourself and do a sort of pay as you go or you can go on contract. Mine is 18 mth contract, free unit, 5gig data and costs 15 pounds monthly. I'm sure there are cheaper options, mine was bought in a rush just before I set out on a 5 month cruise. It suits me, I've been moored in the middle of nowhere with a patchy phone signal but the MiFi picks up most of the time. Speed is pretty good and so far, I'm quite pleased with it. Go and talk to some geek at a phone shop (try and get someone who really knows his stuff though).

Ged

Years ago, way before mobile phones were even thought of when I first went self employed I rented a yard and shed but no phone. I couldn't afford a telephone at first but I was crafty I rented a yard with a public phone box just outside. I gave my customers its number and I adjusted the door when no one was looking so it always kept ajar and I could hear it ring. This performance often confused my customers as their call was sometimes answered by total strangers trying to make a call. I kept putting a little notice in it to say that if this phone rings while your in here just open the door and shout''PHONE''.which the cleaners kept tearing down but with whom I got friendly in the end reminding them of how much I spent in the phone box, ordering spare parts ect. I got away with this carry on for quite some time and eventually had my very own telephone installed.

People just don't know how easy they've got things these days what with mobile phones, internet, sat-nas ect,

• Greenie 1

My experience with mobile broadband from both 3 and T Mobile indicates:-

There is no reliable service. Speeds vary from reasonable to bloody awful to zilch.

They promise much but deliver little

They always fail when you are doing something important.

Skype video connections that allow good signals happen as often as a blue moon.

If I were relying on this method to run a business it would go bust.

A lot depends on location. I speak for Sawley, Newark and Gunthorpe (real pants) from 3

Years ago, way before mobile phones were even thought of when I first went self employed I rented a yard and shed but no phone. I couldn't afford a telephone at first but I was crafty I rented a yard with a public phone box just outside. I gave my customers its number and I adjusted the door when no one was looking so it always kept ajar and I could hear it ring. This performance often confused my customers as their call was sometimes answered by total strangers trying to make a call. I kept putting a little notice in it to say that if this phone rings while your in here just open the door and shout''PHONE''.which the cleaners kept tearing down but with whom I got friendly in the end reminding them of how much I spent in the phone box, ordering spare parts ect. I got away with this carry on for quite some time and eventually had my very own telephone installed.

People just don't know how easy they've got things these days what with mobile phones, internet, sat-nas ect,

I can remember being so impressed with my Great Uncle when I was a child. He had a telephone! To this day I remember his number BER3901 (Bermondsey)and my grandmas was ADD4834 (Addiscombe)

Then STD arrived and all the nice names went. Sad.

Edited by jelunga