A two day "out and back" from Braunston

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

What time do you start from Braunston and what time do you have to be back? When are you going? Where you can get to depends very much on the time available and, at this time of the year, how much daylight you have.

What sort of experience are you looking to provide - broad locks, narrow locks, tunnel, eating/drinking out or in?

Give us a few clues and I'm sure a number of us will come up with favourite bits.

What time do you start from Braunston and what time do you have to be back? When are you going? Where you can get to depends very much on the time available and, at this time of the year, how much daylight you have.

What sort of experience are you looking to provide - broad locks, narrow locks, tunnel, eating/drinking out or in?

Give us a few clues and I'm sure a number of us will come up with favourite bits.

Okey dokey, we're going on the 7th October, leaving Braunston quite early (7ish) Normally we go south, up the locks, through the tunnel, down the locks (stop at gift shop) keep going for a bit and then wind. Last time I took a gamble and went down the Oxford, I won't be doing that again. The LNBP boats don't seem to handle too well along there...... and after Napton the kids may get a bit bored, and as for he winding hole at fenny compton, well don't get me started.

So, I can't decide between Long Buckby or Watford (for a change). Is the winding hole after Crick tunnel a true 70 footer? It matters! As for food, the scouts will eat on board, i however may take in a public house....

any thoughts...

It looks like the Braunston Fryer is still open, even if it is looking for a new owner, they fry to order!! Telephone number 01788 890258. :angry:

I suggest a possible route from Braunston which will include locks and a tunnel ie stuff for the scouts to enjoy :)

Head for Stoke Bruene, canal route planner reckons 7hrs to Gayton Junction and 8 hrs 36 mins to the other end of Blisworth Tunnel, where you can turn. I did a canal route planner for our trip this year and we were always ahead of its time estimate.

Alternate route, at Norton Junction turn onto the leicester stretch of the grand union and head up the Watford Flight through Crick Tunnel and turn.

I hope you have a great time.

Julie

If you can get away at 7.00am going South, you should be at Norton Junction around 10.00am. Depending on how long you have to wait at Watford, you could be in Crick by 1.00pm. It's just over 3 hours to the junction with the Welford Arm and another hour up to Welford itself. You could get there in the light and the pub is well worth the visit. There's plenty of room to turn a 70' boat at the end of the arm. But be warned - this section is very isolated and if you don't make Welford you will be without a pub. The moorings just before the junction with the arm (where you can turn) are good but there will be no boozing! And you will need to get up early to be sure of getting back on time. Crick would be safe but I've never used the winding hole you mention so I can't say how easy it would be to turn there.

Going north on the Oxford Canal, you should be through Hillmorton by 11.00am and another 2 hours will see you on the moorings at Newbold - find space on the visitor moorings between Bridges 51 and 50. There are 2 pubs close to the canal at Bridge 50. You would need to go through the tunnel the following morning and turn the boat in the old arm just after Bridge 48. You could go beyond Newbold but you are into the same problem as with the Leicester Section - isolation and early rising to get back.

Both routes have their attractions but that to Crick is more varied - more locks (broad, narrow and a staircase) and two tunnels. And if you pack your credit card and make a reservation, you could sneak off to Edwards leaving the Scouts to beans on toast!

Okey dokey, we're going on the 7th October, leaving Braunston quite early (7ish) Normally we go south, up the locks, through the tunnel, down the locks (stop at gift shop) keep going for a bit and then wind. Last time I took a gamble and went down the Oxford, I won't be doing that again. The LNBP boats don't seem to handle too well along there...... and after Napton the kids may get a bit bored, and as for he winding hole at fenny compton, well don't get me started.

So, I can't decide between Long Buckby or Watford (for a change). Is the winding hole after Crick tunnel a true 70 footer? It matters! As for food, the scouts will eat on board, i however may take in a public house....

any thoughts...

I once enquired about hiring Lancelot & Guinevere from LNBP for our Sea Scouts in Coventry but they were insistant on using their own crew. I have a helmsmans certificate but this was not acceptable. We opted for Willow Wren in Rugby.

I once enquired about hiring Lancelot & Guinevere from LNBP for our Sea Scouts in Coventry but they were insistant on using their own crew. I have a helmsmans certificate but this was not acceptable. We opted for Willow Wren in Rugby.

Although it doesn't help you they're great boats for a group, very tidy. They're good good engines in them (don't ask me what they are!) and bow thrusters (for emergencies only obviously!)

I did my Community Boat Management Course with LNBP a couple of years ago and this will be the 4th or 5th time I've used the boats, so I'm not sure if I count as one of their crew. I will enquire. I think they're a great resource for the Scouts and other community groups and I'd like to see them used as much as possible (I also think thet're very good value).

Thanks for the route suggestions, I like the sound of the Welford Arm............