Chesterfield Canal

Hawkmoth

Featured Posts

Just thought I'd warn any boaters heading for the Chesterfield Canal and using a Nicholson Guide. the guide says that there is mooring with power available at Drakes Holes. This is not the case. We arrived this morning hoping to use the facility with the card, which the lock keeper at West Stockwith had supplied.

When we moored up, with signs all over the place saying BW 24 hour mooring, we found that the power outlet wouldn't take cards at all, there's a keypad only.

Called C&RT who first of all said that if it was keypad operated it was for permanent moorers only Hang on says I, this is a 24 hour visitor mooring, no signs of permanent residence. I'll put you through to someone else, hang on.

That someone else did eventually get back. It turns out that the power is for winter mooring or a trip boat only, and you need the code.

Well, it isn't winter, there is no trip boat, why not give me a code, I'll pay. No dice as yet, hoping that Rob Taylor the C&RT mooring manager may get back, but don't hold much hope or a good result.

So, don't take the book's word on the supply of power around here.

Bob

CRT are going round changing all of the power points on visitor moorings to the type with the key pad. The aim being that you will plug in type in your pin number and the balance of power used will be added to your bill or payable by debit card. They are starting by changing over on their long term mooring sites first and gradually changing them all. The annoying thing is that as we dont have a CRT long term mooring we will have to wait around two years for our pin code and account to be set up so that we can use the facility, those with long term moorings can use them now.

We had this discussion with CRT prior to our Easter break at West Stockwith. There were enough empty power points for us all to use for the three nights we were there but we only had the old style cards so couldnt plug in. CRT wouldnt/couldnt give us a code to use. Seemed a bit daft really.

CRT are going round changing all of the power points on visitor moorings to the type with the key pad. The aim being that you will plug in type in your pin number and the balance of power used will be added to your bill or payable by debit card. They are starting by changing over on their long term mooring sites first and gradually changing them all. The annoying thing is that as we dont have a CRT long term mooring we will have to wait around two years for our pin code and account to be set up so that we can use the facility, those with long term moorings can use them now.

We had this discussion with CRT prior to our Easter break at West Stockwith. There were enough empty power points for us all to use for the three nights we were there but we only had the old style cards so couldnt plug in. CRT wouldnt/couldnt give us a code to use. Seemed a bit daft really.

This seems to be par for the course at C&RT at present. Why go around changing these things at great inconvenience, and no doubt great cost. Who's benefiting from this debacle? Probably the company advising that it be carried out, it wouldn't be the first time.

I know the power point you mean. I had thought when I was there a couple of weeks ago that the boat that was moored there was plugged into it but I may have just imagined it. Or perhaps he already has a long term mooring and so could use the keypad?

It would sound as though this is going to be the case all over the country and not just a problem on The Chesterfield Canal if what NC has suggested is correct. Nicholsons will have to be updated again!