Calling BCN experts – Naboth’s Wharf?

Tony K

Featured Posts

Hi Winja – if you look at the 1902 os map you will see that the building was marked as Methodist Chapel (Primitive)

On the 1919 map it is annotated as ‘Institute’

From what I’ve read, - if my memory doesn’t let me down – is that the Methodists built a new church and when they moved out Squire A L Vernon subsequently bought it. It became locally known as the Vernon temperance Hall, but was demolished in the early 20’s

Capt Ahab explored the area back in 2009 http://captainahabswaterytales.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/essington-branch-canal-vernons-branch.html

Whilst we were mooching over by where those ‘double bridges’ by Essington Farm colliery stood the other week, 'little bro' reckoned you could still cross the land to arrive by the Mitre............it's on the agenda to revisit

That the Double Bridges is a possible site for the "Wharf" is an interesting interpretation. The tramway show in the early 1900's map was that which belonged to Essington Farm Collieries.

Ray Shill

In the absence of any tangible evidence I'm inclined to go along with you with that winja from MW's few descriptive snippets of how he arrived at it and its geographical 'relationship' with Olly Bonk - just a little niggle though at the back of my mind looking at the 'pronged' ending of that line of canal.......

• 6 months later...

Recently reading a book on Staffordshire by Vivian Bird from 1974. He covers the mines around Essington, which fitted in with my family history & part of the topic here. My great grandfather was William Bate, known locally as Bill Sinker, as he used to sink mines in the area. He also worked with his son William later on the same work. Among the mines he sunk was the struggling monkey, so named because it was sunk from underneath upwards, after a line had been driven from a previous pit horizontally. My grandfather was born in 1885 at 10 Bell Lane Bloxwich. His wife was born in Essington.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Boffo - I've just tracked down and purchased a copy of the book. Out of interest, does the mine your great grandfather sank have an 'association' with the Struggling Monkey pub at Aldridge or is that just a coincidence .........?.