Anchors and winches. How big?

Danny1234

Featured Posts

Hello

When ...... I get my nice big new wide beam, I'm hoping to spend some time along the Thames (past West London mainly), so figure I will need anchors. I'm finessing the that I will also need a winch as there might be occasions when pulling up the anchor by hand is just not going to be feasible.

Can anyone tell me how big/powerful a which I would need in such a situation?

I'll try and go for something that works off a crank handle, but with the back up of an electric motor.

Cheers

Danny

Hello

When ...... I get my nice big new wide beam, I'm hoping to spend some time along the Thames (past West London mainly), so figure I will need anchors. I'm finessing the that I will also need a winch as there might be occasions when pulling up the anchor by hand is just not going to be feasible.

Can anyone tell me how big/powerful a which I would need in such a situation?

I'll try and go for something that works off a crank handle, but with the back up of an electric motor.

Cheers

Danny

How long's your boat?

How heavy's your boat

How deep will be the (deepest) point you'll be traversing?

Having a winch will mean you can use a much bigger anchor and I would also suggest using all chain rather than a mixture of chain and rope as this will mean you can reduce the amount you carry. You only need 3 times the water depth if you are using an all chain set up. Important to have a piece of rope or webbing at the very end where it is secured to the boat mind so that you can cut the anchor and chain free if the need arises.

Be warned, anchor winches are very expensive. The electric Lewmar winch fitted to our boat retails at about £1200. Then there is the cost of the anchor and chain on top. We have a 10kg Delta anchor which is well oversized for the boat but has never let us down yet and we use it on a regular basis along with 80m of 10mm chain attached with a hefty webbing strap to the boat.