Electric keeps tripping out

Featured Posts

Hi all

My boat keeps tripping the power on the local PowerPoint. Even when all the 240 sockets are turned off (all of them!). The RCD stays on but the power point trips. I have tried 2 different cables, one brand new and tried all the sockets on the power point, I still trip it.

My neighbours are also on the PowerPoint, their cable does not trip it (so I am driving them mad).

Any thoughts on what could be going on?

Thanks in advance.

We had months of this issue over the winter on our marina and a sparky came round and checked all the boats shorelines, it became apparent that some people were using cables with one or more connectors. Marina management insisted that all boats have a lead of sufficient length without connectors and hey presto problem solved.

Phil

Glad you fixed it. Sounds like live and neutral shorting together?

Live shorting to ground trips an RCD, live shorting to neutral does not.

Edit: or a short before the RCD.

I might add a master fuse to mine around where the RCD is, since currently my battery charger and sockets have separate fuses, which allows them to combine to draw too much current from the shore (fuse I can replace myself, meter on the shore requires harbourmaster's attention).

Edited by sassan