Water temperature sender adaptor

Featured Posts

Hello

My temperature sender is knackered and I sourced a replacement from the distributors. The old one was just a switch, whereas the new one is both gauge and switch.

I tried to install it only to find that the threads on the replacement were far smaller than the threads in the housing.

I phoned them up and they reckon the old one could be 3/8" and the new one 1/4".

Is there an easy way to convert the threads, or another way of setting up the sender?

If I had the time I would try and source the correct size, but I have to set off on Monday and need a quick fix.

One of the engineers suggested just strapping the sender somewhere so the end was making contact with a how surface. Would this work?

Any other way solving the conundrum?

Many thanks

Tim

Hello

My temperature sender is knackered and I sourced a replacement from the distributors. The old one was just a switch, whereas the new one is both gauge and switch.

I tried to install it only to find that the threads on the replacement were far smaller than the threads in the housing.

I phoned them up and they reckon the old one could be 3/8" and the new one 1/4".

Is there an easy way to convert the threads, or another way of setting up the sender?

If I had the time I would try and source the correct size, but I have to set off on Monday and need a quick fix.

One of the engineers suggested just strapping the sender somewhere so the end was making contact with a how surface. Would this work?

Any other way solving the conundrum?

Many thanks

Tim

If that's the case they should be able to supply an adapter.

If that's the case they should be able to supply an adapter.

You would hope so wouldn't you. Only problem is that they delivered the last part as they sent and engineer.

My nearest dealer for their products is in Trowbridge and I'm in Bristol. Bit of a nightmare.

You would hope so wouldn't you. Only problem is that they delivered the last part as they sent and engineer.

My nearest dealer for their products is in Trowbridge and I'm in Bristol. Bit of a nightmare.

There are adapter kits available, Durite do them and maybe others, but you need to know whether (a) the gauge, and (b ) the engine have metric or imperial threads.

Oh, and the imperial threads can be BSP, NPT or UNF <G>

Tim

Edit - ebay item 360529529527 is one example

Edited by Timleech

Found the bugger. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270790303008?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Only problem now is that I'm going to have to do at least a couple of days of cruising with an engine that has recently overheated more times than I've had hot dinners.

So any suggestions for a quick fix?

I've got some little temperature stickers on the engine, but I'm not sure how much I trust them.