Boat called Heart of Oak

Featured Posts

I have seen on a couple of occasions a really tidy but small metal hulled cabin boat on the Bridgewater called Heart of Oak. It is just curiosity, but does anybody know anything about it? The hull is metal I believe but of a round bilge design, with no obvious rivets/welding. I have to assume that the hull is cast iron/metal which I have never seen before. I would guess it has been a work boat at some time in its life.

Hi Catweasel,

A little old lady used to own the boat years ago, but sadly passed away. Since that time it went downhill abit.

Recently though, the current owners, which bought the boat through ebay have done a marvellous job on the re-fit and external re-paint.

Speaking to the ex owner a good few years ao in Lymm (the boat is now moored at Grappenhall) and he said that it was an ex Manchester Ship Canal Co. Pontoon. He told me a bit more but I can't remember for the life of me. I think it's had a very intresting life since it was built in the 60's I beleive.

A little old lady used to own the boat years ago, but sadly passed away. Since that time it went downhill abit.

Liam, Are you sure that you have got the right boat. Heart of Oak was owned by an old gentleman when we knew it. Peggy who died a few years ago owned and lived on Pandora a boat of similar build and size.

Edited by Bernie

I would guess Heart of Oak to be no more than 25ft long at the most, and currently has a black hull with red topsides. The cabin is a two tier affair with the rear cabin probably having been added later. Wish I'd grabbed a photo of it but I was fighting a crosswind last time we passed it. It is the hull which is of interest, and I think it very likely has been a tug. It is a lovely boat and a pleasure to see after row upon row of narrowboats.