Boat inspection before completion

Kieron G

Featured Posts

Hi, we're reaching the stage with our boat refit where if we need to make any major changes or alterations now would be the best time to make them. I've had a read through the BSS checking procedures and have realised that the escape hatch for the cabin area is only 35x36cm. The regulations state that the opening must accommodate a 38cm diameter circle. The boat is of unknown age and history and to alter the steelwork and make a new hatch would be a major job. Would a pre inspection by a BSS inspector now would be the best way forward to clarify this and other issues now ? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Hi, we're reaching the stage with our boat refit where if we need to make any major changes or alterations now would be the best time to make them. I've had a read through the BSS checking procedures and have realised that the escape hatch for the cabin area is only 35x36cm. The regulations state that the opening must accommodate a 38cm diameter circle. The boat is of unknown age and history and to alter the steelwork and make a new hatch would be a major job. Would a pre inspection by a BSS inspector now would be the best way forward to clarify this and other issues now ? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Hi what we done when totaling refiting a dutch barge is just ring a examiner, have a chat,get a deal for 2 visits explaing you want him to cary out a safety check up to date, dont say what maybe is worrying you though. I havent met a examiner or surveyer yet that wouldnt want to advise

if its a fail, he will tell you what is right ot wrong. If anything wrong he will put it down on a sheet and you can correct and work to it. if nothing wrong continue.

my examiner charged me a extra 50% for the two visits

col

Edited by bigcol

I don't have any reference in front of me, but isn't a second (emergency) exit an advisory rather than a fail? Worth checking. The diagonal of a 35x36 rectangle will be more than 38cm anyway. The dimension is I assume to fit a person's shoulders through.

Tim

Hi Kieran

Jus ask the forum for contact recomendtions re local examiners.

ring examiner and explain letting him know what you want, but hint it will be 2 visits

I think they will do you a fixed fee for 2 visits.

re fees they all differ, Ive heard of one that they failed one, they signed it off

second visit free

all the best

col

As far as the escape hatch goes, I don't think there's much that needs clarifying, the second means of escape must have an area of at least 0.18 square metres and accommodate a 380mm diameter circle. Yours has an area of 0.126 square metres and will not accommodate a 380mm diameter circle, so it's going to fail check 6.3.1. This is an advisory check (assuming we're talking about a boat being checked to the 2013 standards, so not a hire boat, managed share boat, or one used for a business where members of the public will be permitted to board), so failure will not prevent you from getting a BSS certificate. Having said that, I know I couldn't fit through at hatch that size, so if you do want to replace it with one large enough to be useful, it sounds like now would be the time to do it.

What other issues are you concerned about?

Unfortunately, Goole is a bit far for me to go just for a BSS, I'd have to charge too much for travel expenses to be competitive.

Thanks for clarifying that. The other issue which comes to mind now is that i have a long shaft seagull which want to store on board as a back up to the main engine and wanted to make a storage bracket on the bulkhead in the engine room / compartment to keep it safe and dry. The way that I read the regulations an outboard engine must be stored in an area which runs off to outside for the vapour to escape. If the vent screw on the petrol tank filler cap is kept tightened and the tap shut could I fabricate these brackets and hang it on the bulkhead next to / above the main diesel engine?

As far as the escape hatch goes, I don't think there's much that needs clarifying, the second means of escape must have an area of at least 0.18 square metres and accommodate a 380mm diameter circle. Yours has an area of 0.126 square metres and will not accommodate a 380mm diameter circle, so it's going to fail check 6.3.1. This is an advisory check (assuming we're talking about a boat being checked to the 2013 standards, so not a hire boat, managed share boat, or one used for a business where members of the public will be permitted to board), so failure will not prevent you from getting a BSS certificate. Having said that, I know I couldn't fit through at hatch that size, so if you do want to replace it with one large enough to be useful, it sounds like now would be the time to do it.

What other issues are you concerned about?

Unfortunately, Goole is a bit far for me to go just for a BSS, I'd have to charge too much for travel expenses to be competitive.

The diagonal of the OP's hatch will be 500mm, so probably easier to get through than a 380mm circular hatch (if there is such a thing). Yes I know it doesn't comply.

Tim

Thanks for clarifying that. The other issue which comes to mind now is that i have a long shaft seagull which want to store on board as a back up to the main engine and wanted to make a storage bracket on the bulkhead in the engine room / compartment to keep it safe and dry. The way that I read the regulations an outboard engine must be stored in an area which runs off to outside for the vapour to escape. If the vent screw on the petrol tank filler cap is kept tightened and the tap shut could I fabricate these brackets and hang it on the bulkhead next to / above the main diesel engine?

In a word, no.

The check in question is 5.4.2, and you've correctly interpreted it to mean that a stored outboard engine with an integral fuel tank must be stored in such a way as to ensure that leaking petrol or petrol vapour is directed overboard. The requirements for a locker are similar to a gas locker, and given your proposed storage arrangements, I'd note the text of check 5.4.2 which specifically states that the locker may not open into the engine space. The other alternative is to store it on deck somewhere, in a position where any petrol vapour will not be able to get inside the boat.

Whilst the wording of the check does state clearly that if an outboard engine is in use or otherwise not stored at the time of examination, it must be recorded as being compliant, I would also draw your attention to the conditions of your license or toll, which will require you to maintain your boat to the standards of the BSS in between examinations.

The diagonal of the OP's hatch will be 500mm, so probably easier to get through than a 380mm circular hatch (if there is such a thing). Yes I know it doesn't comply.

Tim

A 380mm circular hatch would also not comply, due to insufficient area. I would guess that the requirements to pass a 380mm circle is there to prevent somebody attempting to get around the requirements by using a wide, thin hatch of sufficient area but that did not allow the average person to climb through.

Thanks again, If this out board engine is stored outside but bellow deck level under deck plates, can I make one locker to contain the batteries, the outboard and any gas cylinders (secured down) with one 'scupper' hole in the hull of the boat to outside to accommodate any vapour from all of these items or do they have to be segregated? Also do you have any personal recommendations for an inspector in the Humberside/N Yorks area that I could contact? Regards, Kieron.

Thanks again, If this out board engine is stored outside but bellow deck level under deck plates, can I make one locker to contain the batteries, the outboard and any gas cylinders (secured down) with one 'scupper' hole in the hull of the boat to outside to accommodate any vapour from all of these items or do they have to be segregated? Also do you have any personal recommendations for an inspector in the Humberside/N Yorks area that I could contact? Regards, Kieron.

Providing that the outboard is secured to prevent any potential for damage to the gas bottles or associated pipework, regulator, etc, and it and any associated petrol containers don't obstruct the scuppers, then there's no problem with storing the outboard, petrol containers, and gas bottles in the same locker. Putting the batteries in there as well is likely to fail check 7.4.4 Is the cylinder locker clear of any items that could damage the LPG equipment or ignite leaked LPG? The batteries also require their ventilation to be at the highest point of the compartment, rather than the lowest point (as the risk is from hydrogen, which is lighter than air, rather than LPG or petrol vapour, both of which are heavier than air).

The list of examiners who say they cover Humberside can be found here, I don't really know any of them well enough to make a recommendation, unfortunately.

Teadaemon, that's been Very helpful. Now you point it out batteries and flammable gas aren't a great combination. I see from your link that there is an inspector at Goole which is only a few miles away and where the boat is most likely to be moored when completed. thanks once again for your guidance.

A 380mm circular hatch would also not comply, due to insufficient area. I would guess that the requirements to pass a 380mm circle is there to prevent somebody attempting to get around the requirements by using a wide, thin hatch of sufficient area but that did not allow the average person to climb through.

I am sure you are right but being both pedantic and unhelpful, you could pass a 380mm dia circle through a wide, thin hatch (or the OP's hatch, come to that) - although not a sphere of the same diameter.

I am sure you are right but being both pedantic and unhelpful, you could pass a 380mm dia circle through a wide, thin hatch (or the OP's hatch, come to that) - although not a sphere of the same diameter.

True.

I didn't write the check, I just have to perform it. For those purposes, I interpret the check to mean that a 380mm diameter circle perpendicular to the line of motion must be capable of passing through the hatch.