Buying a narrow boat

RhiannonBryony

Featured Posts

File under "Piece of string, how long is?" Older boats (and they're generally longer-lasting than cars, so we're talking boats over about 20 years old)can be the most appalling rust-buckets with leaking roofs and windows to match, shuffling along the cut wreathed in smoke from their knackered engine, or they can be neat and tidy, smart, sound as a bell and looking forward to facing their next 20 years. The real divvles are the ones which LOOK neat and well cared for but are rust-buckets underneath - this is one reason why you must have a SURVEY before parting with any money (except to the surveyor).

As for good makes of older boat, Harborough Marine (the ones with great upswept banana-curving bows) are plentiful, as are Springers (the ones with slab sides, little moustache-like splashboards on the bows and an indefinable ugly-pretty charm). Colecraft, though still in production, have been going for donkeys' years and have a sound reputation; Mindons are older boats which were considered upmarket in their long-ago heyday. There, that should keep you goggling and Googling for a while longer. But be warned: it's the boat which will find you, not vice versa. You won't understand this until you experience it

Mike

Wow, thanks Mike, that is plenty to be going on with, I really appreciate your help. googling like crazy :)

You will get on just fine, you have boating and self sufficiency in your blood!

Your grandfather is one of my heroes, the account of the last passage up the derelict Runcorn and Weston Canal, in Voyage into England is epic stuff.

Thanks :) He is one of my heroes too, I know he would have been hugely supportive of our boaty plans. I need to re-read Voyage into England, havent read it in a whie.

Ah yes, you forgot to tell us that you were a celeb!

There is, as it goes, a nicely turned out Mindon on Appalling Duck at the moment, a 50 footer, good make of engine, much recent renovation, and around your upper price limit. Read right down the specification and you will find that its interior decor springs a big surprise.

(In case you think I'm an idle bugger who has nowt else to do but write on forums all day, I actually earn part of my living reviewing albums. At the mo' I am ploughing through a Graham Bond anthology which has FOUR CDs, so ample time for internetting whilst listening. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Ah yes, you forgot to tell us that you were a celeb!

There is, as it goes, a nicely turned out Mindon on Appalling Duck at the moment, a 50 footer, good make of engine, much recent renovation, and around your upper price limit. Read right down the specification and you will find that its interior decor springs a big surprise.

(In case you think I'm an idle bugger who has nowt else to do but write on forums all day, I actually earn part of my living reviewing albums. At the mo' I am ploughing through a Graham Bond anthology which has FOUR CDs, so ample time for internetting whilst listening. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)

Wow, sunken bath- now I like the sound of that! That ticks a lot of boxes for us, will check it out if its still around when we both get time in the UK -Thank you.

Listening to music for a living sounds like a great job :) If only I could find a way to chef from home! I am currently being an idle bugger on a much needed holiday.