Peter lamb canopy maker....

Simple Things

Featured Posts

Been getting a few quotes on for cratch and pram hood canopy.... Have read something about peter lamb on here but i cannot find the post. Any info or pics of his work would be greatly appreciated before I go ahead and say yea or nah...

Dog to walk tea to make wine to drink and the not being able to find the post i originally read a recommendation is geting annoying now!

Muchos

Jeff

Edited by jeff_ggg

Been getting a few quotes on for cratch and pram hood canopy.... Have read something about peter lamb on here but i cannot find the post. Any info or pics of his work would be greatly appreciated before I go ahead and say yea or nah...

Dog to walk tea to make wine to drink and the not being able to find the post i originally read a recommendation is geting annoying now!

Muchos

Jeff

Isn't he the guy who trades from a narrowboat moored up next to Midland Chandler, Preston Brook just by Claymore Navigation?

Well ive got widnes so it could well be yes....

I'm down there tomorrow so I'll go and see if there's a phone number or e-mail address and get back to you if nobody comes back with the answer. Have you decided canvas of PVC?

He has been to the boat this morning.... So have his number.... Just interested to see any of his creations.... As he's no website etc.... Would like to see before i buy. Or at least hear of any people who he done work for. Thanks for the offer tho appreciated.

Hi, I have a secondhand pram cover for a cruiser style for sale- e-mail me if you are intrested, if not no problem.

Sorry don't know the company you are looking for

hi how much do you want for pram cover and how much is it that is if the gentleman above doesn't want it thank you

Can I just add that canopies are made individually to each boat, they are a bespoke item. A second hand cover made to fit a specific boat is highly unlikely to fit another boat, even one by the same manufacturer. Fastenings and studs are likely to be in completely different places.

Although new hoods seem expensive they are a bespoke item and a lot of work goes into them. We recently had new cockpit canopies at a cost of £1200 which seems a lot of money until you realise it took the company a week to make them and they were fitted to the boat several times in that week which meant removing the old hoods to fit the new ones then taking the new ones off and refitting the old ones to keep the boat dry.

Canopies are a big job. It is worth getting a well respected company in to do a good job the first time around. A well made canopy will last a long time if looked after. An ill fitting canopy will likely rattle itself into an early grave!

Whilst we note your comments and you are not the first to state this opinion, there may be others who cannot or do not wish to spend £1200 - £1500 on a canopy.

We purchased our narrow boat with the pram hood fitted, but we did not like cruising with it up and have deceided to remove it together with all the fixings prior to a repaint last year, so we will not be using again but ist is useable and I would rather move it on rather than dump it. so if anybody's interested please see item under the For sale / wanted section.

Many thanks

Edited by Boatingbiker

Had a look round the marina today to see if any were made by Peter and basically none of the covers had any make or brand on them except for Coverit Canopies (somewhere near wigan I believe). They look to me to be very good quality. As Naughty Cal says covers need to be fitted to the boat and you may need to have adjustments made so someone local may be an advantage. At the kind of money involved I wouldn't buy without seeing some of his work or some satisified customers, I asked around but most got the canopies with the boat and don't know the maker, cruiser owners seem mostly to get them from the manufacturers.

• Greenie 1

Appreciated. When i was a teenager (!) i paid some money up front for my vw bay campervan to have some work done.... Alas that money went up the fellas nose and i was gutted.... Have always been wary who i pay for services..... After that.... Coverit.... Local.... Lots of work about.... Its a much safer bet obviously for lots of reasons.... Bow and stern canopies will give me an extra 13ft and be multifunctional so would like to make sure they are right.

Hats off to you for your time.