Ceapo LED setup

Taslim

Featured Posts

Hi.

There have been some threads about on fitting LED lighting. Rather than hijack Serenity Malcs' thread I am opening this one . A first for me.

My chum is fitting out a van as 'live aboard' & being tight by nature he wants to do a sound job but at low cost. Re cycled materials etc but it needs to work properly & look decent too.

I've just sorted the lighting. The bits were bought last week, and now I'm snowed in so....

Light Stew.

Ingredients.

4x £ Shop 9 LED aluminum torches. 30mm Dia x 90mm. I chose red ones but other colours are available. £4

2x £ Shop 5 LED USB powered swan neck (flexi) lights. £2

4x £ Shop little swivel head camera tripods. £4

(Other discount stores can offer similar etc etc.)

6x voltage regulators of the ZR or LMS type. 4x 3.3 Volt o/p, 2x 5Volt £13 inc postage

6x 100nf 60V capacitors £2 postage included with regs

6x 100mf 16V capacitors £3 as above

1.5 wire Well.. it was all we had.

4 bits of Mecano. We chose yellow to 'match' the van lining. Nicked it from the kids toy box.

Heat shrink stuff. £1

1x in line fuse (Halfrogs) £2.35 (robbing g***)

2x USB sockets Donation from dead computer

TOTAL £31.35

Method.

Torches.

Remove the legs from the swivel head tripods. Put legs in the 'it might be useful one day' box. screw Mecano where the legs were.

Drill & tap the torch bodys to suit the camera thread on the swively bit and assemble & screw in the swivel bit with a good blob of epoxy gunk.

Build the regulators (3.3V) sleeve it with heat shrink & fit in torch body. Big capacitors on output side) Google for info on the regulator you use and typical layouts are on other threads on this forum.

You now have 4 switchable 10/20V spotlights.

Strip lights.

Build regulator onto USB socket, heat sleeve, screw to wall, plug in light. They are switched from a wall fitting. The lamps are mounted above the table/desk and are easily good enough to read by.

Bonn Apatite.

Is this the onset of cabin fever?

Seriously though, I ran them up ( thrashed them! ) on my bench power supply & got a good result. time will tell if they last but it was fun to do. The installation looks good & and works.

I will try to put up 'photos but don't hold your breath.

taslim.

Yello,

Most 12v LED's will run from a few volts to 30V .... so I can't see why you'd want to faff about with voltage regulation on such a shoe string set up.

This my 'cheap' 12V lighting solution ... for now, as they happen to match my 240V lights as well.

6 x stainless switched adjustable bullet spots ... proper GU10 240v fittings £57 delivered.

6 x 12v GU10 warm white LED lamps £15 delivered.

Wire them up and enjoy !

spotlamps.jpg

ledgu1012vlamps.jpg

Malc. B)

Edited by Serenity Malc

Yello,

Most 12v LED's will run from a few volts to 30V .... so I can't see why you'd want to faff about with voltage regulation on such a shoe string set up.

6 x stainless switched adjustable bullet spots ... proper GU10 240v fittings £57 delivered.

6 x 12v GU10 LED lamps £15 delivered.

Wire them up and enjoy !

Malc. B)

Madness! I can get a hundred IKEA tealights and a box of Swan 'strike on the seat of yer pants' Vestas for far less than that!

Richard

Madness! I can get a hundred IKEA tealights and a box of Swan 'strike on the seat of yer pants' Vestas for far less than that!

Richard

When I was a lad...........:glare:

S M got some useful kit there but my chum was playing a different game. 'Photos of the fittings are off for now since,as soon as I fitted the multi fuel ( former gas cylinder) stove he hit the road.