Thames High Water

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

I've seen the boat listing before - either from being on the bottom and listing to starboard or like now listing to port from high water levels (just not as badly as now). It's a nice looking boat but also very neglected. The hull is so rusty at the waterline, I don't think it's been blacked for many years.

I didn't manage to get to the house today as I had to go to Gloucestershire, but I'm back now and the water levels have remained stable. I will definitely go to the house tomorrow and give them a knock. The boat is owned by an old geezer and his son. I guess the son is either away or doesn't care.

I cross the river every day in my dinghy to get off the island, even with the river in flood. Ferrygliding across a river in flood is fairly easy, but I'm not going 100 yards downstream to the narrowboat because my little outboard may not get me back. There are no bridges in the area. You have to go about 3 miles downstream or 2 miles upstream.

You're a brave man Mike, but don't take any unneccesary risks, and take an anchor with a very long rope, that way if your engine fails, you can trow your anchor overboard and use your rudder or an oar as rudder to get to the shore, of course I hope you don't need the anchor, but it will be a safer idea just in case, as I don't think that rowing would get you very far with the Thames flowing like this.

I understand that the bridges are too far away, but they would be good for someone that hasn't got a dingy to get there, and then probably with a wetsuit attack the problem from the bankside next to the boat.

Good luck brave man,

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

You're a brave man Mike, but don't take any unneccesary risks, and take an anchor with a very long rope, that way if your engine fails, you can trow your anchor overboard and use your rudder or an oar as rudder to get to the shore, of course I hope you don't need the anchor, but it will be a safer idea just in case, as I don't think that rowing would get you very far with the Thames flowing like this.

I understand that the bridges are too far away, but they would be good for someone that hasn't got a dingy to get there, and then probably with a wetsuit attack the problem from the bankside next to the boat.

Good luck brave man,

Peter.

Thanks. I have an anchor and wear a lifejacket. It's either carry on as normal or abandon ship!