How to choose a boat

Alanji

Featured Posts

I posted this reply on another thread and thought it might be useful to repost here in case it might be of use to those starting out.

Once you have looked at a few boats on-line you can narrow the choice quite a lot:

What type - I decided on cruiser stern

What layout - after looking at boats in person, I decided on reverse layout.

What toilet - I wanted a pump-out which narrowed the choice considerably

I wanted a washing machine or the space to install one

How many berths - I wanted 2 fixed and 2 occasional (or enough floor space for blow up bed)

What size (I decided on 55' to 60' and ended up with 54')

I prepared a spreadsheet listing all boats I might be interested in. This was very useful for comparing values. Column headings (not in order of importance, except the first 3) were Boat; Marina; Price; Year; Size; washing machine; Fridge (as an intended cc'er 12v would be an advantage); Bed size (I am 6'4"); Batteries; Inverter size; Bow thruster (as a single hander would have been an advantage); Dinette (I wanted this as a work station and for sleeping guests); Insulation type; Last blacking; last painting; Engine hours; stove (and type); cratch and stern covers; Headroom (as mentioned I am 6'4"). In retrospect I would add Engine size and make; Builder. You can then have a rough idea of how much work will have to be done to bring the boat up to scratch/your requirements. I then sorted the boats into Worth Viewing; Maybe; No (worth keeping on the list for comparison purposes). I ended up with one from the "Maybe" list. I would also suggest you have your finances arranged before you go looking - you might fall in love with one and it is first come, first served.

As several people on here told me - it is likely the boat will choose you. That is what happened to me. I missed out on one boat I was very interested in, was negotiating on another when the broker phoned me to say the price had been dropped on a boat I had dismissed as it had a cross bed (no use for me at 6'4") and he thought the bed could be converted. I went to see it and made an offer! It is going to cost the best part of £4k (and much more but that will be later) to get it up to scratch and how I want it but it said "I am right for you".

Wow! spreadsheets! I just had a very clear idea of what I wanted and kept looking and not finding it. Then one day I popped into Braunston marina and there was a new boat in. I had a look and, bingo! it was perfect! I placed an offer there and then. The boat had been in the marina only a matter of hours but I didn't want anyone else beating me to it.

Months later there were plenty of the other boats I'd looked at still hanging around for sale. Many were dirty/smelly inside and generally made you feel miserable as soon as you stepped aboard. Made me wonder what was going on in the heads of the sellers? Don't people have any idea about presenting things well? If I ever come to sell mine, I'll be scrubbing it inside and out for days!

p.s. Alan, how tall are you again? ;)

Months later there were plenty of the other boats I'd looked at still hanging around for sale. Many were dirty/smelly inside and generally made you feel miserable as soon as you stepped aboard. Made me wonder what was going on in the heads of the sellers? Don't people have any idea about presenting things well? If I ever come to sell mine, I'll be scrubbing it inside and out for days!

I guess some people are selling due to circumstances meaning they haven't got the time/inclination to scrub!

We're selling ours in the new year and I've began on the presentation part as soon as I realised that I wanted a new boat, maybe a year ago!

We chose our first boat because she looked pretty and was the right colour.Having no previous knowledge of boats we probably got lucky,had we been members on here i think we may still have been looking as i obviously know everything now,so would still be searching for the perfect boat.

Ian.