Solar-powered Extractor Fan

Breals

Featured Posts

This has probably come up before but unfortunately the forum search engine can't handle 3 letter words like 'fan' ;)

I have seen a small solar powered extractor fan on ebay, but cannot find another supplier for the product. It's a sort of disc shaped thing for mounting on a hole cut in the window, and has an integral solar cell. I wouldn't expect it to perform brilliantly but it may help to disperse the 'gases' which build up in the bathroom during this hot weather!

Anyone seen one, or a similar product?

This has probably come up before but unfortunately the forum search engine can't handle 3 letter words like 'fan' ;)

I have seen a small solar powered extractor fan on ebay, but cannot find another supplier for the product. It's a sort of disc shaped thing for mounting on a hole cut in the window, and has an integral solar cell. I wouldn't expect it to perform brilliantly but it may help to disperse the 'gases' which build up in the bathroom during this hot weather!

Anyone seen one, or a similar product?

Hello Breals

Something like this?

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs...1d-0f26d8b707fa

I haven't used one myself but I've heard that they are not very efficient and also, cannot work at night.

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

That's a bit expensive. Might have a go at making one with one of those cheap educational solar kits you can get. Yes, I guessed they wouldn't be that good at night! ;)

The problem is it's only when it get extremely hot that the toilet gets stinky :o . So a solar powered fan might make sense.

Edited by Breals

Thanks, len, that's the one I was looking for. I might still have a go at trying to make something myself, but at least I can bookmark that site (which looks quite interesting - I'm sure they could relieve me of some hard-earned).

Thanks, len, that's the one I was looking for. I might still have a go at trying to make something myself, but at least I can bookmark that site (which looks quite interesting - I'm sure they could relieve me of some hard-earned).

Well Maplin do a hard drive cooler and various solar panel kits.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...ia=hard%20drive

and

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?TabID=...=47902&doy=27m7

Now, where did I put that toilet roll and sticky backed plastic.....

Len

Hi,

this one is marginally cheaper http://www.shedstore.co.uk/itemdetl.php/itemprcd/smsov300

Len

Hello Len

Interestingly, the model you linked to, in its deluxe version according to the description tab, works at night and in poor weather by having a battery built in. It doesn't appear to say so but I assume this battery is recharged by the same solar panel that powers the fan in the light.

I'd be interested to hear some further opinion on the efficiency of these things, compared with a normal extractor fan powered off the boat's electrical system, because I'm having a boat built and it wouldn't cost much more to install one in the bathroom. However as I said earlier if memory serves, though I might be mistaken, I think I can recall somewhere hearing that solar fans are nowhere near as efficient in the sense of the volume of air they can extract per hour as system powered fans and thus may not be a good solution, despite being superficially attractive.

Any views?

regards

Steve

Edited by anhar

another thought would be to mount a small fan in your mushroom vent in the bathroom, assuming you had one and then mount one of these small solar panels that you see cheap on ebay mounted on the roof next to the mushroom vent, you would probably not see the wiring and the whole thing should be quite tidy and unobtrusive. A computer fan would be ideal and these are already in a round mount that may well fit a musroom vent. I am probably over simplifying and a lot depends on how much trouble you want to go to

Charles

Hello Len

Interestingly, the model you linked to, in its deluxe version according to the description tab, works at night and in poor weather by having a battery built in. It doesn't appear to say so but I assume this battery is recharged by the same solar panel that powers the fan in the light.

I'd be interested to hear some further opinion on the efficiency of these things, compared with a normal extractor fan powered off the boat's electrical system, because I'm having a boat built and it wouldn't cost much more to install one in the bathroom. However as I said earlier if memory serves, though I might be mistaken, I think I can recall somewhere hearing that solar fans are nowhere near as efficient in the sense of the volume of air they can extract per hour as system powered fans and thus may not be a good solution, despite being superficially attractive.

Any views?

regards

Steve

Well,

a mate has one in his greenhouse and you don't get the speed of a system powered fan, more a gentle persitent movement of airbut in a boat it could be left running without fear of flatting the battery-bank and there's also the bonus of keeping the boat aired when not aboard / laid up for the winter?

The battery is recharged from the sp but we're convinced there's little power left over when the fan is running to recharge the battery - though it gets there soon enough with the fan switched off, a few hours of reasonable light seems to top it up - no I haven't the faintest how long it runs just off the battery....

But on a boat, mostly when cruising, you would tend to use it when needed?

Len

Len

I was hoping for a gentle but continuous ventilation effect, especially during hot weather when the bathroom gets stuffy and a bit smelly. Sounds like they would work well for this. I wouldn't want to leave a system powered fan on all day.

I wouldn't expect it to work like an extractor fan, removing steam after a shower for example.

I was thinking of getting a glazier to cut a hole in my window to mount the fan in.

Edited by Breals

Hello Breals

Something like this?

http://www.force4.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs...1d-0f26d8b707fa

I haven't used one myself but I've heard that they are not very efficient and also, cannot work at night.

regards

Steve

Yes, don't bother with buying this one, is my advice. I got one and firstly, the plastic 'mushroom' doesn't fit the existing holes in your roof and secondly, the little fan whirs along without the slightest movement of air - or so it seemed to me! You get a far greater fanning from those battery-operated hand held ones!

Probably 7 or 8 years ago I fitted a 4" computer fan into the mushroom vent over my shower room, controlled from a simple wall switch it works perfectly, it is just about audible and although there is never any great rush of air it clears all the condensation that forms when the shower is used within 45 minutes.

The current consumption is minimal though I can't remember the figure, it barely registers on the ammeter so is hardly worth considering.

Probably 7 or 8 years ago I fitted a 4" computer fan into the mushroom vent over my shower room, controlled from a simple wall switch it works perfectly, it is just about audible and although there is never any great rush of air it clears all the condensation that forms when the shower is used within 45 minutes.

The current consumption is minimal though I can't remember the figure, it barely registers on the ammeter so is hardly worth considering.

To fit a 4inch vent i guess it will be a 92mm (possably even a 80mm, as there the most common size)

- Picking up a random 92mm fan, it quotes 0.15amps (1.8watt) as does another 92mm a several other 80mm fans, and a little 40mm one.

- Although ive got a 60mm on that quotes 0.07amp (0.8watt) and a 80mm one that quotes 1.5watt. And a pair of 120mm 24v computer-style fans quoting .3amp (7.2watt) but they do move a hell of a lot, even on 12v.

Daniel

I finally got round to demolishing my old defunct PC, and have installed one of the internal fans in the vent over the shower. There's a light fitting on the ceiling next to it, so I have wired it to that, removing the bulbs (never used it anyway!)

The fan has a square case which fits perfectly into the hole cut in the lining behind the vent cover. It's rated at 1.9W, so I can leave it on all day if necessary. And it really does work! There's something satisfying about sorting a problem without having to pay!