replacement engine

miq

Featured Posts

Has anyone else out there got a 42 foot liverpool boat with a cruiser stern from the mid 90s? If so what engine is fitted? Mine has a worn out Lombardini 903, and I am looking to upgrade to something a bit more powerful and young enough not to smoke. The keel cooling on this hull is minimal at 0.47 m2 which will add considerably to the cost if I fit most readily available 30hp engines as they all seem to require up to 0.8 m2. Any suggestions?

Has anyone else out there got a 42 foot liverpool boat with a cruiser stern from the mid 90s? If so what engine is fitted? Mine has a worn out Lombardini 903, and I am looking to upgrade to something a bit more powerful and young enough not to smoke. The keel cooling on this hull is minimal at 0.47 m2 which will add considerably to the cost if I fit most readily available 30hp engines as they all seem to require up to 0.8 m2. Any suggestions?

That Lombardini i presume is 903cc ?, if so why not look for an engine of the same or a touch under that capacity, perhaps a 2 or 3 cylinder Japanese based engine.

If you've got room, fitting an additional keel cooling tank should be that expensive.

Especially not in comparison to the cost in changing the engine, engine mounts, gearbox, prop shaft, stern gear and prop - but that is a worst case scenario

I'd look for another compatable Lombardini 903

Edited by Proper Job

We've got a 40' Liverpool trad from 2003. The build specification said that it should have a 25Hp Isuzu 3 cylinder. When it arrived it had a 33hp Isuzu 4 cylinder. Never had it overheat although it's only used on canals and not rivers. The fuel consumption is very good at 0.7 litres/hour and there is the advantage of 2 alternators.

How much do you use the boat? A re-bore, a set of pistons and rings, bearing shells and a head set is going to cost a lot less than a new engine. If you're handy with a set of spanners this may be a cheaper approach, especially if you do all of the mechanicing yourself and get a local engineering factory to do the machining. To quote the engine datasheet:- Cast iron crank case with reborable cylinders, Aluminium cylinder head with replaceable guides. It's a 3 cylinder - fewer pistons and bearings to buy than a 4 cylinder!

http://www.powertechengines.com/LomData/903-high.pdf

Edited by Chalky