Inland Boating-Related Courses

sooz

Featured Posts

A couple of questions on inland boating courses, specifically finding vendors in the south.

We are very interested in some sort of basic mechanics / maintenance type course so that we can be better prepared for dealing with any of the more 'simple' issues that may well crop up with our boat. Are there any such registered courses available with local provision (our boat is on the K & A, and we live further south still)? Or alternatively are there any local providers who run their own day / weekend courses?

Also, does anyone know what the RYA Helmsman's course covers that the Certificate in Community Boat Management does not? The main difference that I can spot is that the former appears to include a very basic inroduction to engines which, whilst handy, is likely not enough to justify doing the whole course in addition to the CCBM (which we are currently doing anyway).

Many thanks =]

I'm sure Tony will be along in person shortly but why not check out

http://www.tb-training.co.uk/

Debbi

Sorry, retired in June because of slight memory and major knee problems. Always happy to help via email though.

RCR should be running the courses now at Alverchurch and if they follow my lesson plans will be covering some simple fault diagnosis/symptoms. My courses took two days yet many customers found more things they wanted included so beware of one day courses. The franchiser does not seem to have good track record of keeping on top of the quality.

The RYA course is useful but I would be tempted to find an experienced boater where you are moored to come out for a spin, take you through a few locks,show you a couple of useful knots for tying up, help you wind the boat and come back again, which was pretty much my experience of doing the course. Have you hired before? The RYA course is really aimed at novice boaters.

Edited by JDR

PS: I certainly wouldn't class myself as an expert boater or instructor but if you want to do a one day chug from Newbury to Kintbury/Hungerford next week you're more than welcome. Six/nine broad locks and a few winding holes to have a play.