Canal(s) Suggestions

Kathy and Roger

Featured Posts

My newest concern is... well... Pubs. I read someone that the Llangollen Canal's Pubs are the worst of the canal system. Is that true? :D

No, it's not true. Good and bad, like anywhere, but nearer the time I'm sure we can suggest a canal pub crawl worth the trip over on its own.

Get the dates sorted and I might be able to come with you (on my own boat of course).

This is all good news, indeed!

Alec, that would be a hoot!!! I called Rog at work and told him about the possiblity of hooking up with you and maybe some of the other folks from here on the canal and he agreed that it would be a blast!

Well as it stands now, it looks like we're going to shoot for the Llangollen Canal (departing out of Blackwater Meadow Marina) on the third full week of June of '07. We haven't nailed down the EXACT dates because I'm still a bit unsure about on what days we can check in. Our check in will either be on Saturday the 16th or Sunday the 17th.

So....... now tell us where to go!!! :D

I'll do a route/pub crawl/night stopover this weekend kath and I will include the montgomery canal which we will be on during your week! This detour is easily achievable during your trip and will be one of your many highlights. Pubs on this section are the Queens Head at suprisingly Queens Head really nice pub reasonably priced food with a superb fish menu.Then the Navigation Inn at Maesbury, great beer, real ale atmosphere, food is second to none but the price reflects this but definately worth it. If our current plans are fulfilled we are hoping that it will be our local by then so keep in touch and who knows? There are entry restrictions to the monty currently between 12 & 2pm with booking system required before 10am on the day this is no big deal so dont worry about it. Google Montgomery Canal, then Petes website and the monty is shown in great detail. Warning you'll want to go tomorrow!!!!

Oh my gosh, Mike!! This is all just way too exciting! Whoooot!!! :D

I've begun to check out Pete's website on the Monty. Wow!

The pictures are a real treat as are his descriptions. I read his reference to L.T.C. Rolt's book "Narrowboats" and its historical significance to this canal (and the entire Waterway System). I checked out Amazon.com and noticed that the book is available and I'm considering purchasing it.

(While I'm thinking about it, what airport would we want to fly into?)

And you're wrong. I don't want to go tomorrow. I wanna go today!

You lucky dog! Have fun on your route/pub/night stopover mission! We can't wait for the details!

K

Hi Kath been snowed under in this heatwave we're avin here. Just a note to say we haven't forgotten you and will be in touch soon. On top of everything our house is for sale and we had seven viewings at the week end, that didn't help matters.

...... I read his reference to L.T.C. Rolt's book "Narrowboats" and its historical significance to this canal (and the entire Waterway System). I checked out Amazon.com and noticed that the book is available and I'm considering purchasing it.

Read this topic for a bit of grounding on Rolt and Narrowboat:- http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...ic=4435&hl=rolt

Hi Kath been snowed under in this heatwave we're avin here. Just a note to say we haven't forgotten you and will be in touch soon. On top of everything our house is for sale and we had seven viewings at the week end, that didn't help matters.

Not a problem, Mike! I completely understand about the heat (as the weeds in my gardens will readily attest!) and obviously the sell of your house is rather important. ;)

Read this topic for a bit of grounding on Rolt and Narrowboat:- http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...ic=4435&hl=rolt

Thanks! I appreciate being armed with that information before reading his book. I'll be able to have a go at it with the understanding that certain things will just need to be overlooked in order to get to the meat of the read.

K

Kathy I've tried to put down a workable route for you to go on your weeks cruise but its turning into an ordeal given that your start point is in the middle of the choice of going left or right if that makes sense making the half way (turn back point) difficult to ascertain. To ease the problem google lockmaster maps and order Nos 8 & 9 then send me a PM when you've received them. Regards mike

Yes, I understand what you're saying. Drat!! It seems that nothing is ever easy or as it should be if I'm in any way involved. ;)

AND I found out yesterday that RCI can't take our reservation for our NB until JANUARY!!! This has me sitting on pins and needles!

I just ordered the maps. I'll PM you when they come in.

Thanks!!!

Kath

Thought of swapping your home for a private boat in the UK for a few weeks? There must be some members who would like to swap the cut for the Little House on the Prairie?

EDIT: Kentucky looks like a GREAT place, didn't realise how beautiful it was! KENTUCKY

Just wish I had the money for the airfare and a more reliable boat!

Edited by Breals

Swap for a three man inflatable boat and a tent?

No?

Thought not!

I've seen a web site somewhere for people wanting to swap homes for boats, but I can't find it right now. I'm at work, so don't really have time to search. I'm sure someone on the Forum will know where to look though.

Janet

• 2 weeks later...

I have just returned from a week with Classic line based at Barton Turn marina.

The Classic service and staff were excellent as always but there is aproblem with the marina.As a result of vandalism it is impossible to access facilities( Toilets,showers etc) except between the hours of 9am and 5pm.I am sympathetic to their problems but this is scant consolation when returning on a boat which will almost inevitably be outside those hours.As you have to vacate boat by 9.30 am this leaves no time for showers other than cold on board if you have enough water remaining.

For the outlay involved I feel a better service from the marina is a right.

Cheers

Hamish

I have just returned from a week with Classic line based at Barton Turn marina.

The Classic service and staff were excellent as always but there is aproblem with the marina.As a result of vandalism it is impossible to access facilities( Toilets,showers etc) except between the hours of 9am and 5pm.I am sympathetic to their problems but this is scant consolation when returning on a boat which will almost inevitably be outside those hours.As you have to vacate boat by 9.30 am this leaves no time for showers other than cold on board if you have enough water remaining.

For the outlay involved I feel a better service from the marina is a right.

Cheers

Hamish

Hamish

On our week at Classic Line at Barton Turn Marina. One of the keys we had was to the the facillities, so we could use them on our return to the marina. Gemma made sure we knew which key was for what, this enabled us to get our car out and go out for the evening. The Gates are padlocked and my understanding is the same key also fits the shower block and the toilets.

The check out time is 9.30, but on 2 occasions we have not been able to moor up and have had to wait till space was available to unload the boat well after 10.30. The staff are aware of this and there is no pressure on you to keep to that time. They do get the boats moved as soon as possible, and on both occasions we made sure we had water to shower ect, and you can run the engine to get hot water which we do anyway even if we are in a suitable mooring.

They have had to make a lot of changes over the years, and all though I may disagree with some of them. It is because of inconsiderate people who go out of their way to spoil things for the rest of us.

Ann

Hamish

On our week at Classic Line at Barton Turn Marina. One of the keys we had was to the the facillities, so we could use them on our return to the marina. Gemma made sure we knew which key was for what, this enabled us to get our car out and go out for the evening. The Gates are padlocked and my understanding is the same key also fits the shower block and the toilets.

The check out time is 9.30, but on 2 occasions we have not been able to moor up and have had to wait till space was available to unload the boat well after 10.30. The staff are aware of this and there is no pressure on you to keep to that time. They do get the boats moved as soon as possible, and on both occasions we made sure we had water to shower ect, and you can run the engine to get hot water which we do anyway even if we are in a suitable mooring.

They have had to make a lot of changes over the years, and all though I may disagree with some of them. It is because of inconsiderate people who go out of their way to spoil things for the rest of us.

Ann

Thanks for reply Ann,

You are quite right,key gets you in and out of marina but not into facilities.I spoke to some permanent residents and they said situation is terrible as they cannot ever get shower because they work and have no facilities on board.

seems a shame to me as mooring fees are getting ever higher.

Cheers

Hamish