Buying in The Netherlands

Sandysoo

Featured Posts

I am looking to purchase a boat in NL. I have received a contract in both Dutch and English. Is it normal for the contract to state that a 10% deposit is paid before the survey takes place? After all I am incurring the cost of the survey and until the works begin, the vendor stands to lose nothing in monetary terms.

I would never give a deposit on a boat as I believe engaging a surveyor is more than enough to assure anyone that I am not a tyre kicker.

I don't see the point of a returnable deposit and who would pay a 10% non-returnable down-payment on a boat they may not buy?

I am looking to purchase a boat in NL. I have received a contract in both Dutch and English. Is it normal for the contract to state that a 10% deposit is paid before the survey takes place? After all I am incurring the cost of the survey and until the works begin, the vendor stands to lose nothing in monetary terms.

This could be their standard contract, which in your case should (or could) have a line added to say that if the prospective buyer is paying for all the cost involved in bringing the boat to the slipway, preparation for the survey (probably by high pressure water cleaning), and for the survey this 10% deposit isn't needed, as your being serious in wanting to buy this boat is cristal clear.

Peter.