Fire Door Rope

Ray

Featured Posts

The handle on our Arley 5 seized over the 2010/11 winter and we had to make a hurried repair a few days before we set out on a lengthy cruise that Spring.

We were sent the wrong replacement handle so had little option but to try and cobble something together from it and the salvagable parts of the original.

Unfortunately that repair has gradually damaged the fire door rope to such an extent that it now needs replacing.

Does anyone know what diameter rope we need?

Edited by Ray

The handle on our Arley 5 seized over the 2010/11 winter and we had to make a hurried repair a few days before we set out on a lengthy cruise that Spring.

We were sent the wrong replacement handle so had little option but to try and cobble something together from it and the salvagable parts of the original.

Unfortunately that repair has gradually damaged the fire door rope to such an extent that it now needs replacing.

Does anyone know what diameter rope we need?

I,m sure that they are all quarter inch.

[

Edited by Burgiesburnin

Thanks.

We measured the old rope prior to ordering a replacement via e*ay. On reflection I probably over estimated the size (at 10mm) thinking that larger rather than smaller would be best. We fitted the new rope at home and promptly discarded the old rope. Back on the baot we've now found that the door won't close completely. The seal at the hinge end appears good - insomuch as I can't slide a knife blade between rope and stove. However, the door doesn't completely close and the seal on that side of the door is not good - the knife blade has no trouble in getting between rope and stove.

Initially I thought I had done something more serious but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the 10mm rope is probably too large and should be replaced with something smaller. I can find 6mm and 8mm rope on e*ay but I'm sure that the measurements I took of the original weren't as small as 6mm, the assumed metric equivalent of ¼ inch.

Mine...beds in with time.

I was pondering...does it actually have to make much of a seal..?

On my stove..there are air controls (openings) on the pan door...and the top of the main door...thus...you have 2 hulking great holes in the stove anyway...?

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Faced with the option of 6mm and 8mm (or the significantly more expensive unknown size from Aarrow), I decided to go for 6mm. It arrived the day before I was going away for a few days so have only managed to attempt to fit today. I didn't even open the glue or cut the rope. It definitely isn't 6mm. That's way too small so I'm going to try 8mm now. Fortunately it usually arrives the day after it is ordered.

I'll post a further update as soon as I've tried it.

Edited by Ray

• 2 weeks later...

The 10mm door rope has now been replaced with 8mm rope and, to be honest, I can't tell the difference between the two. The door will close but the handle won't turn as much as it should. However, and I haven't had time to check as the door was refitted during a brief visit to the boat, the lock plate may have slipped on the handle shank and simply need repositioning.

There is still a small gap between rope face and stove at the end remote from the hinge which, as far as I can tell has probably always been there (and which, on reflection, may account for why we have had the odd instance of smoke blowing out from the stove around that area). I cannot get the door to close any tighter even if I exert pressure on it.

To summarise, it does seem as though either 8mm or 10mm rope can be used, although I think 8mm is probably better. It is most definitely not 6mm.