rubbish

Pat

Featured Posts

Now I don't mind the occasional bit of rubbish floating by, but this goes too far. Does anyone know who is in charge of keeping towpaths and the water clean? Is there a special department for that? We need some bins on the tow path so people stop chucking everything in the water! I spoke to the local BW guy, and he just mumbled something about it not being his job and that he would pass on my concerns to someone else....

rubbish2.jpg

rubbish3.jpg

I think it is the recently reduced division of BW called 'lengthsmen', a term which our children will not understand - similar to fireman of the steam era.

I've got a belting photo of a lock on the Calder & Hebb with a staggering amount of flotsam and jetam in it which I'll try and dig out.

RH

:cheers: bw WITH NOTINGHAM CITY COUNCIL AND BOOTS THE CHEMISTS LAST YEAR REDONE THE TOW PATH FROM TRENT BRIDGE TO BEESTON WONDERFULL JOB IT IS BUT NOT A RUBBISH BIN IN SITE DISTANCE OF ABOUT 4 MILES NO MOORING RINGS EITHER BUT THEN AGAIN CYCLISTS/ANGLERS/RAMBLERS DONT NEED MOORING RINGS DO THEY

Is there a special department for that?

Agreed, you have a problem there :)

I've recently asked BW about this (though we've not got anything on your scale)

Text of my email:

I was wondering if there's any possibility of getting a dustbin or recycling tub for Roundhill.

I'm not talking about our own rubbish, I'm quite happy to remove that from site or dispose at BW stations we might pass. I'm talking about the assorted flotsam that seems to naturally drift into our corner.

We went off for a little cruise last week. On our return I went round with a net and collected at least 20 plastic bottles, plus drinks cans, sundry MacDonalds cups and other fast food trays, numerous plastic bags, crisp bags and Tesco's carriers, those ring things that hold 4-pack beer together, and two footballs.

Most stuff just downright unsightly, some hazardous to local waterfowl etc.

I'm quite happy to do a bit of neighbourly housekeeping, but I'd rather not have to take it home.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

... and the reply:

“Clearing the canal debris is dealt with via our maintenance team. I have passed your concerns on and it will be resolved shortly as will bins for household rubbish. We are waiting for a contract agreement.”

Regards, ......... (Moorings Officer)

So there you are, there's a ‘Maintenance Team’

I expect they'll deal with your problem ‘shortly’ :cheers:

In the meantime I'm bagging ours up and chucking it on a workboat that's been there since November. Well I figure if it's in the canal, doesn't swim or fly and hasn't paid for permission to be there it must belong to BW.

Edited by Moley

Bloomin' eck - that is amazing..... my goodness!!!!!! I have never ever seen anything quite like it. Where I am can get a bit soapy and grimy and horrid but I expect that - but rubbish everywhere!!! Good heavens.

Contact your local MP. (that is the first political statement I have ever consciously made in my life!)

I am truely shocked!!!!

Surprised you haven't seen any BW maintenance staff, the Tesco's nearby must create a lot of work for them!

I don't think they drag that section too often. Tescos must send someone out with a grappling hook every now and then to fish 'em out, but they leave them by the towpath side of the store for the kids to chuck in again :cheers:

Then again, I've heard that one boater smacked up his prop / stern gear, and sued Tesco (successfully) for a new engine. Might be worth keeping in towards the towpath rather than staying wide :)

It's pretty bad in London - we've been moored next to a bridge in Camden referred to my partner as dead dog bridge as that seems to be where they end up.

Lovely dead puppy in there this morning. Last week I removed a six foot xmas tree from the prop!

BW do come round every now and again with a special rubbish removal boat that scoops up most of it, but its not enough. It kind of comes in waves. The photos were taken on a particularly bad day, but it is usually pretty bad.

:cheers: bw WITH NOTINGHAM CITY COUNCIL AND BOOTS THE CHEMISTS LAST YEAR REDONE THE TOW PATH FROM TRENT BRIDGE TO BEESTON WONDERFULL JOB IT IS BUT NOT A RUBBISH BIN IN SITE DISTANCE OF ABOUT 4 MILES NO MOORING RINGS EITHER BUT THEN AGAIN CYCLISTS/ANGLERS/RAMBLERS DONT NEED MOORING RINGS DO THEY

After a few dozen boaters have banged mooring pins into the towpath, I'm sure they'd consider putting in mooring rings.