Standedge Tunnel Trip

Featured Posts

Hello people,

In about 3 weeks i am intending to take my 'Rosaline' to Dewsbury for the bottom re-blacking ;) and then following her re-launch I am planning to go off to Standedge tunnel before returning to Apperley Bridge.

;) Is the tunnel worth a visit? ;)

cheers

Andy ;)

Hello people,

In about 3 weeks i am intending to take my 'Rosaline' to Dewsbury for the bottom re-blacking ;) and then following her re-launch I am planning to go off to Standedge tunnel before returning to Apperley Bridge.

;) Is the tunnel worth a visit? ;)

cheers

Andy ;)

Andy,

The tunnel is worth a visit but you need check because only boats going through the tunnel may be allowed up to Marsden. But if you get there the passenger boat trip through is worth it and a look around the visitor centre. I think BW this year have altered the booking arrangement for tunnel passage.

What length is "Rosaline" for turning up at the Marsden end.

M & P.

We did the Standedge last year. The guys on the tug did a great job in describing what went on, how it was built etc. The boat was well prepared and looked after through the tunnel. There were only two of us in the convoy. I have heard of horror stories about damage but not a scratch on us. Stripping everything off the boat, cratch, chimney etc to reduce the air draught as much as possible caused a few headaches.

We did Diggle to Marsden and had to be there the day before and then we were locked in until the day after. However we needed the day after to clean the boat off - she was black bright!! From there we did the 44 lock miles to Huddersfield in one go - never again. Be careful as you pass the tea boat at Slaithwaite (pronouinced slowwit) as there is a lot of junk in the canal. We picked up a man hole cover key in the prop and had to stop in the lock to remove it.

For the tunnel, fully worth the effort but bouncing along the Narrow when there is not enough water is "fun".

Andy,

The tunnel is worth a visit but you need check because only boats going through the tunnel may be allowed up to Marsden. But if you get there the passenger boat trip through is worth it and a look around the visitor centre. I think BW this year have altered the booking arrangement for tunnel passage.

What length is "Rosaline" for turning up at the Marsden end.

M & P.

Hi,

Shes a 57ft Narrowboat

I would say Yes do it. We had a passage last year and echo the comments of M&P.

You do need to book and the most frustrating thing is that despite knowing you are coming and will have had the pleasure of 40+ locks on either side, they only guage your boat at the mouth of the tunnel - bright eh !! I know of one person who was travelling from Diggle to Wakefield, was refused and had to Trent it back to Wakefield.

We do quite well with insurance quotes and repairs after people have experienced the tunnel.

So I think it should be a BW license requirement that all boats should have to pass through it at least twice a year. ;)

Hi Gary,

I guess you are saying it knocks the spots off other tunnels. ;)

M & P.

We do quite well with insurance quotes and repairs after people have experienced the tunnel.

So I think it should be a BW license requirement that all boats should have to pass through it at least twice a year. ;)

I suppose it will remove the weld spatter if i knock it about in there!!!

cheers guys

oh and girls!! ;)