October holiday choices

Gillie

Featured Posts

Can't decide where to go for our october holiday..

Choice is either start from Upton upon Severn and probably go up the Staffs & Worcester canal to Aldersley and back..

hiring a boat from Starline boathire..(heard any reports of them??)

or

hiring boat from Norbury Wharf and choosing a weeks route from there..not sure which route though as there are a number of possibilities..

any thoughts to help make a decision??

( I want our own boat !!) :help:

Gillie,

I have had no experience of hiring from either company but Starline sorted out an alternator problem for me 3 years ago at a very reasonable price, in very quick time and providing free moorings and electricity for 3 days. If the quality of their service and workmanship is reflected in their hire boats, they would be a good bet.

But (isn't there always one), the Severn in October might not be the best place to be. If there's any heavy rain, the level can come up very quickly and you might find yourself either stuck at Upton until the levels go down or unable to get back. I suggest you explore the possibilities and options with Starline before hiring.

If you go from Norbury, how about Norbury-Barbridge-Middlewich-Anderton-Winsford and return. That's 107 miles, 74 locks and 2 trips on the Anderton lift. You should be able to do that in a week and really build that desire for a boat of your own!

I guess it depends how hard you want to push it, and I am also slightly biased being based at Norbury !

I would'nt attempt the 4 counties ring in a week - you will be travelling non stop - but on the plus side there is some beautiful countryside and some super pubs in our neck of the woods. You certainly get the contrasts in the area (industrial and rural).

That said, the Staffs & Worcs is also beautiful.

Decisions decisions - take 2 weeks and do a bit of both !

B):help:

Decisions decisions - take 2 weeks and do a bit of both !

:help:B)

Have decided to start from Norbury ..as don't want to chance severn being up..and us getting stuck there or not getting back

Now all have to do is decide route bearing in mind the days are going to be much shorter at the end of October..

a ring would be nice... but there again I really want to do the Staffs and Worcestershire...

trouble is I want to go everywhere and only have a week... :help:

Hi - Four Counties in a week, we did it in May a few years ago and in September on three occasions. We didn't find it too much hassle to do in a week, for the May cruise the crew was 5 adults and a toddler. We had reasonable starts 9ish and ok finishes 6ish. We often stopped for lunch and spent a morning shopping for essential supplies ie wine and beer and meat for the barbie but in October you may have earlier nights to contend with. We have always gone from Stone their boats are fantastic and they let you go early if the boat is ready and are really friendly. I am sure you will have fun whatever you choose, we are not going out until September, 10 days brill, and we can't wait! :help: