Un-seizing screws

Featured Posts

When we were in dry dock at Braunston I wanted some and couldn't believe the problems I had getting it. A trip to Daventry in the end for it. I seems a lot of people now think WD 40 is penetrating oil for some reason.

Probably because of the way they market it - I must admit I've always thought of it as a penetrating oil (as one of it's many uses) so it's good to know it isn't really so I'll invest in something better when I tackle my stove glass....cheers...

Paraffin is a better penetrative than WD40. Proper penetrating oil has a very distinktive smell unlike any other oil,and is available at proper engineers stores, Rocal is one make that do a specialized range of oils,inhibitors and so on.

Castrol used to make an excellent penetrating oil called ''Looseol''it had a little Graphite in it also. Some '3 in one' light oils are quite good too.

The penetrating oil I`ve had the best results with is a DIY mixture 50/50 acetone & auto trans fluid[ATF]

• 1 month later...

Just as follow up, after consulting with a respected* engineer, it was decided to sod mucking about, and just glue the glass back in with heat resistant silicone. However, said respected engineer did manage to remove the door where I had failed, so while it was off, I thought I might as well have a go a drilling and tapping new holes, because if I made a cock of it, I could always revert to the silicone plan. But the new holes went in with relatively little fuss (now I could get my stand drill to them) and tapping was a piece of cake. Glass now firmly secured with brass bolts. Hurray!

Thanks for all contributions.

Now that's fixed, I don't need any more advice so we can all get back to slagging off each others' grammar. More hurray!

*well, I respect him.