Opinions wanted

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

http://barges.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=245482

A friend of mine is looking for something like this, I was wondering if there was any word on the TT about it.

At that age and quarter plate, I should think the newness has worn off her a bit. Isn't she an ex-Willow Wren hireboat? If so, then she'll have had a fair old hammering. Aged timber cabin as well-hmmm... She's nothing special, in terms of history/ex-working boat blah blah, and would be expensive to convert full length. On the face of it, she's not hugely expensive if your mate is DIY handy and wants a project, but if he/she needed the services of any decent boatyard to carry out hull repairs etc, then it could become very dear. What's your mate after? There's that Swindon No. 2 on the Duck, which would be a better bet in my opinion.

Edited by johnthebridge

Isn't she an ex-Willow Wren hireboat? If so, then she'll have had a fair old hammering.

No, not ex-Willow Wren. HEYFORD was one of two modern hulled unconverted self steer Union Canal Carriers Ltd. hire boats, the other being LAUGHTON. As you say these boats certainly had a fair old hammering. Neither of these boats really had the 'presence' of an original working boat to my eye and of course neither has a carrying history irrespective of what may be suggested on Apollo Duck :captain:

edit for spelling

Edited by pete harrison

At that age and quarter plate, I should think the newness has worn off her a bit. Isn't she an ex-Willow Wren hireboat? If so, then she'll have had a fair old hammering. Aged timber cabin as well-hmmm... She's nothing special, in terms of history/ex-working boat blah blah, and would be expensive to convert full length. On the face of it, she's not hugely expensive if your mate is DIY handy and wants a project, but if he/she needed the services of any decent boatyard to carry out hull repairs etc, then it could become very dear. What's your mate after? There's that Swindon No. 2 on the Duck, which would be a better bet in my opinion.

Swindon No. 2

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=190491

We see some really good ex-working boats that have been painstakingly restored passing through and at Audlem for the boat festival. We have to admire anyone who has the patience and cash to restore boats like these!

Edited by Doorman

We see some really good ex-working boats that have been painstakingly restored passing through and at Audlem for the boat festival. We have to admire anyone who has the patience and cash to restore boats like these!

Sorry, I've no wish to be contraversial, but I'm not sure why you're posting this. When you say "boats like these", are you also referring to the boat in question? As has already been said, this is just an old hire boat with no historic provenance, and bears no comparison with the type of craft you mention in your post.

Sorry, I've no wish to be contraversial, but I'm not sure why you're posting this. When you say "boats like these", are you also referring to the boat in question? As has already been said, this is just an old hire boat with no historic provenance, and bears no comparison with the type of craft you mention in your post.

No problems John,

I was referring to Swindon No.2, which bears real ressemblance to the type of boats that pass through and stop at Audlem.

Mike

No problems John,

I was referring to Swindon No.2, which bears real ressemblance to the type of boats that pass through and stop at Audlem.

Mike

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, Swindon's not a bad old thing, bit of a mongrel, but the sum of the parts etc. The person who did the work on her was working to a tight budget, but the end result does pass muster. The cabin is ex Waterways flat, and the counter was "found" lying around the yard from a previous job, but if she was five grand cheaper I might still be able to raise sufficient enthusiasm!

Slainte.

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, Swindon's not a bad old thing, bit of a mongrel, but the sum of the parts etc. The person who did the work on her was working to a tight budget, but the end result does pass muster. The cabin is ex Waterways flat, and the counter was "found" lying around the yard from a previous job, but if she was five grand cheaper I might still be able to raise sufficient enthusiasm!

Slainte.

Yes, the link I posted gives you pictures of the work being done, very interesting. She's been up for sale for a long long time.