How to arrange a survey?

PartTimer

Featured Posts

Where is the boat, marina or on line? Private or broker?

Most brokers will arrange a lift out / dry dock on yr behakf. There are several surveyors here on CWDF. Depends on which part of the country. If near Sawley I can recommend Steve Hands who did two boats for me. But others are available

Most brokers will arrange a lift out / dry dock on yr behakf. There are several surveyors here on CWDF. Depends on which part of the country. If near Sawley I can recommend Steve Hands who did two boats for me. But others are available

if the boat is at a brokerage they normally have a list of brokers you can call up see who is free first pricing etc.

i recomend Mike Chadwick www.mikechawicksurveys.co.uk

Nobody has answered the costs question, I think.

Cost will depend on if you ask for just a hull survey, (e.g. thicknesses), or a "full" survey of the whole boat and systems, (although all surveyors will still build in a lot of get-out clauses about all the bits they don't check, or simply can't get to!).

A full survey of an average sized steel boat could easily cost £500, and upwards, I would say.

You will normally also have to pay for craning, slipping or dry-docking, (however it gets taken out), and will often be tied to the place where the boat is, (and hence their charges). This is more variable, I'm guessing, but could easily by £200 - £300.

This sounds a lot, but may well turn up items needing attention that you can use for further negotiation on a price agreed before the survey. Sometimes the "all inclusive" cost of a survey will be no more than you might get a price reduced by, I'd say.

* The boat is on a private mooring in central London, near Islington.

* Private deal, no broker

So I'd have to get the seller to navigate to somewhere with lifting gear?

Or a dry dock or slipway.....

London is one of the least well served places - I think there may be a dry dock associated with St Pancras cruising club, although I have no idea if you can rent it for this purpose.

Otherwise I'm thinking you might need to get the boat some distance, like Uxbridge - not exactly trivial.

Someone will know how far up the Lee you would need to go to find a suitable dock, crane or slipway - I don't, I'm afraid.

Hi

St Pancras Cruising Club does have a dry dock. I'm working in it next week, lettering and decorating a boat. I'll ask Fred, the caretaker whether it's available for hire for survey purposes. If you call me on 07831 243001 on Tuesday or Weds, I should be able to have an answer for you. In general, most docks are booked well ahead, but you never know.....

Cheers

Dave

Hi

St Pancras Cruising Club does have a dry dock. I'm working in it next week, lettering and decorating a boat. I'll ask Fred, the caretaker whether it's available for hire for survey purposes. If you call me on 07831 243001 on Tuesday or Weds, I should be able to have an answer for you. In general, most docks are booked well ahead, but you never know.....

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for the offer, I'll be in touch.

Is that true? I find that truly shocking. A capital city with england's major river and one of its major canals and you struggle to find a slip or dock.

How about the tidal thingy Blackrose bangs on about?

The problem with slips, docks, and boatyards is that they need to be by the water, which means they're worth far more as building plots.

A drying out grid is an option, if you find a surveyor willing to use it (as it involves getting wet and muddy). Personally I'm happy to, but then I'm (relatively) young and foolish.

*shameless plug* I'd suggest that if the OP wants to arrange a survey then they should call me on 07941 419 230 or email dan@burrillmarine.co.uk, and I'll see if I can give them a competitive quote.

• Greenie 1

Hi Part Timer

Just back from London. The St Pancras dock is available for surveys, usually on Saturdays as the weekends are changeovers for longer docking jobs. Speak to Fred, the dock manager, on 020 7278 2858 if you wish to take things further. Good luck!!

Dave Moore

• Greenie 2