The best to heat and get hot water (60' x 10')

Wild Is The Wind

Featured Posts

Hi all

I took ownership of my new boat (still undecided on name) at the end of February. I'm a liveaboard, new to boating and the forum, and intend to stay on towpaths rather than hooked up to electric at a marina. Its a sailaway with some work still to do, but I paid for the boatbuilders to fit a Webasto system to heat 4 radiators, and for lovely lining to be done to cover all the electrics, plumbing pipes, etc.. or so I thought.

It has been a great adventure so far and I've already experienced life on board in the cold weather - it was actually snowing when the boat arrived!

The Webasto system works well, but the heat quickly escapes from the boat when it is turned off and it is SO EXPENSIVE to use that I can see already I am only going to use it as a back up system rather than the main source of heat. Luckily I already purchased a Squirrell Stove which I now have to get installed, and I've decided to get a back boiler for it too. The Webasto is installed in the engine room at the stern and the stove will be about 3-4 metres away from it in the open plan galley/lounge area. The Calorifier is in the engine room too (75l, horizontal).

So here are my questions:

1. Will it be possible to use the Webasto in the summer as another way to heat water, with the radiators turned off?

2. Will it be possible to tap into the existing pipework to the radiators and run new pipework to the calorifier? Obviously getting the systems working correctly is the main priority, but it would be great if I can minimise adding new pipes across the lovely new lining if possible, although it would be very easy to match the lining to box in any new pipes between the stove and the engine room.

Any advice you can give would be gratefully received.... I just want to know what is possible - will be getting an expert to do the work for me and probably won't understand to much of the technical stuff!!

Many thanks

Yes everything you said is possible and is quite a standard install..

The only issue would be pipework to the Calorifier as too shut off the radiators in summer it helps if the Calorifier is near the Webasto.

Edited by Robbo

Whoops, new to this!

Thanks, that is great news! The Calorifier is next to the Webasto in the engine room and it will be easy to box in any pipes to that from the stove. Again, can't be too technical (yet) but how will the Webasto react to the stove heating the radiators? Would there have to be a shut off valve to the Webasto? Would another pump be needed to get water round the rads or would it use the same one? Hope this makes sense.

We have a twin coul calorufier. One coil heats the water from the engine cooling system. The other from the Eberspacher. There is a valve in the Eberspacher system to stop the radiators getting warm in hot weather just using it to heat the hot water. I do not think it is good practise to put a back boiler on the same circuit as the Webasto. The webasto has its own water circulating pump. The back boiler may need its own pump. But it certainly will not gravity circulate with the webasto in circuit.

Hmm ok, thanks for that. I have the guy coming midweek to have a proper look/quote and will double check on what you've said. I've just been given a number for someone else who comes highly recommended so will get opinions/quotes from both.

Appreciate this advice very much.

Hmm ok, thanks for that. I have the guy coming midweek to have a proper look/quote and will double check on what you've said. I've just been given a number for someone else who comes highly recommended so will get opinions/quotes from both.

Appreciate this advice very much.

Webasto's don't like being disrupted,makes em unreliable.

Decided to keep things simple and estimates for work are expensive. Getting the stove fitted and will see how well that heats the boat and will use Webasto to heat water when needed with rads turned off. This way I will save money on diesel and can get more work done in the future if needed.

Decided to keep things simple and estimates for work are expensive. Getting the stove fitted and will see how well that heats the boat and will use Webasto to heat water when needed with rads turned off. This way I will save money on diesel and can get more work done in the future if needed.

I strongly suspect that's the optimal conclusion . . .

Look forward to your stove - - you won't regret it!

I would look for a stove that can have a back boiler installed at a later date...

Remember you can heat water using the engine whose cooling system will be routed through the calorifier, and you can charge up your batts at the same time, you said you would be off a marina and out on towpaths so surely you'll be running your engine, but you omitted to make reference to it.

Remember you can heat water using the engine whose cooling system will be routed through the calorifier, and you can charge up your batts at the same time, you said you would be off a marina and out on towpaths so surely you'll be running your engine, but you omitted to make reference to it.

Yes you are right and that seems to be going well, with enough hot water made for me while the engine charges twice a day. Hopefully will just use the Webasto minus rads for additional hot water if needed - probably will be needed when family stay!