Featured Posts

Warwickshire Northamptionshire Air Ambulance

http://www.wnaa.co.uk/

A registered charity funded by the public

- Covers over 2000sq miles

- 1.1 million people, 1 Aircraft, 2 Ambulance Services

- Emergency cover during daylight hours

- National child/adult retrieval service during hours of darkness

The Warwickshire & Northamptonshire Air Ambulance is a registered charity based at Coventry Airport and provides emergency air ambulance cover for approximately 2000sq miles of Coventry, Warwickshire and Northamptonshire, covering a population of around 1,076,000 people.

The helicopter can be airborne within 45 seconds and can respond anywhere in Warwickshire within 8 mins and anywhere in Northamptonshire within 12 mins

I've seen this in action on a number of occassions and its an amazing piece of kit!

yeah, every year we go down to salcombe (southdevon) for a fortnights dingy sailing, and during one fo the regatta weeks the local air ambulance and the lifeboat do a combine display where the helicopter flies in (at speed, inches from the yahat masts) and hovers, picks up a "casualty" and lifts him in, then lifts some on, and back onto the lifeboat - and then they both leave (again, at speeds)

and i have to say, its amazing stuff, it really is

- and then the next day the lifeboat if open and you can have a look around and see some of there gear (incuding the 2 V12 lumps that power it)

- and then everyone give them some cash!!!!

daniel

I think that that you would have seen a RAF Search & Rescue helicopter, which has a slightly different role.

WNAA is an air ambulance rather than a SAR helicoper, so therefore carries a consultantant and paramedics on board for rapid and immediate treatment of casualties, and very fast conveyance to hospitals.

I've seen a SAR helicoper in action, they are amazing - proved essential in Boscastle over the summer!

Jon

( :o )

In a former life I had an involvement with the air ambulances (and police helicopters) we supplied searchlights for them. There is no experience quite like flying in a helicopter on a dark night.

Pigs to work on though. If any of you think that boat electrics are difficult, try these things.

John Squeers

• 3 months later...