goodies at lidl

curzons246

Featured Posts

Much clearer than mud, thanks, Julian. Nice explanation!

I'm quite encouraged, because I think I'd actually managed to understand the situation after all.

Seems to be a very cheap way of getting some satellite capability, then, provided you accept the loss of channels 4 and 5.

I'm interested though in the comments about the Maplin system dish being inadequate for a canal boat on it's moorings. Does anyone know if the Lidl one would be ?

And can you find a satellite without extra equipment, or is more cost fairly inevitable there ?

Yours,

A technical dinasaur....

Yes alan you can purchase the dish without purchasing the other equipment, most satelitle equipement suppliers will provide you with a dish and LNB. I purchased a 430mm dish from ebay for my folks, works 100%. I have seen a few ebay items which are sent complete with cable connectos and a tripod

With regard to the Maplin dish, the box and dish look exaclty the same as the one I have. Over this weekend i'll take a few shots and post them so you can make you own decisions

Will have to look into what Maplins are selling.

I called at Lidl yesterday on my way home from work, ie around 17:30

Don't know how many that store had been allocated, but they'd sold out by 09:30

Dear all,

Portable Satellite Receiver 69.99 12 complete system 3 year garantee and pota loo 29.99 both available soon at lidl look good for the money

Cheers bill Liddle

As a general principle, I'm not sure we should be supporting this shop.. the stores aren't contactable by telephone, you can't check stock or reserve any item, they encourage you to spend time and fuel exploring the branches in the hope they might have something left that you want, and their customer service is non-existent.

It might be cheap, but you get what you pay for, and until they drag themselves into this century I would rather support other shops like Argos, who seem to have got their act together rather better than a second rate food retailer trying to make inroads into an area they obviously have no idea about and refuse to take seriously.

Sorry, rant over.

Portable Satellite Receiver 69.99

As a general principle, I'm not sure we should be supporting this shop.. the stores aren't contactable by telephone, you can't check stock or reserve any item, they encourage you to spend time and fuel exploring the branches in the hope they might have something left that you want, and their customer service is non-existent.

I couldn't agree more. Useless.

Actually quite glad they hadn't got one.

Have just followed Amicus's link from post#16 and bought system-in-a-suitcase from Maplin, on offer (save £20) for £59.99 and with free carriage!

Thanks Amicus :)

More Lidl offers with a boating theme from Thursday 1/6/06

Good, I can't see a damned thing I would want. Useless place!

Incidentally, that suitcase full from Maplins arrived yesterday. Haven't set it up yet, but looks good. How they can sell a set like that for sixty quid inc. carriage is beyond me.

Incidentally, that suitcase full from Maplins arrived yesterday. Haven't set it up yet, but looks good. How they can sell a set like that for sixty quid inc. carriage is beyond me.

Adrian - it would be good to hear how you get on with this when you've had chance to try it out.

Regards

David

Yep,

Just bought a Maplin "suitcase" one too. (You can save an extra £1 if you buy their £2 catalogue, then use a £3 off voucher it contains - this leaves you further vouchers for future purchases too....)

I don't know the first thing about them mind, and early attempts to set it up at home indicate that the small dish is VERY sensitive to the direction it's pointing in. Small movements completely lose the signal.

It's working well enough on dry land, but only time will tell if it can hold onto a signal once strapped to the roof of a boat.

Anyone like to give any hints on easy ways to find your satellite ? This only comes with a fairly crude compass-like thing that straps to the top of the disc. I've a feeling some kind of signal strength meter make life rather easier ?

One good piece of news is that the instuctions ay that when running on 12 volts, the supply can be anywhere between 11 and 15 volts, so no need for anything fancy here. The receiver is also small - only about 21 cms wide, so shouldn't need a lot of space.

Anyway, as and when I've tried it aboard, I'll report back some more.....

Anyone like to give any hints on easy ways to find your satellite ? This only comes with a fairly crude compass-like thing that straps to the top of the disc. I've a feeling some kind of signal strength meter make life rather easier ?

Alan

I have a sat meter very easy to use but you still need you compass to point you in the correct direction especially when the suns not around. I purchased a compass which has the satelites marked on them so you can point the dish in the correct direction. I can usually set the system up within 2 minutes, the only problem I seem to have with the portable dish is unless you have line of site its a bugger for the signal dropping out and not being able to pick up the weak signals. I have tested the system with a 430mm dish makes so much difference I don't even need to use the signal meter.

I have nothing to do with company in any way but this i what i use Compass

Sat Meter

Maplins or another decent satelite or ariel TV shop should be able to help you with these items

Edited by steveh