Crank

Dorman

Featured Posts

Checked my batteries and all seem in order after charging up so suspect charging/starter/voltage drop problem on the boat.

A question that has been in my mind however is for my engine what would the preferred CCA rating be in a starting battery.

My engine is a Dorman 3AL 48 hp about 1.5 litre a pot 3 cylinder with a huge flywheel and loads of resistant oil in the sump :blink: --is the current 640 CCA sufficient (current batteries 24V 2 12v batteries)

Similiar to a JP3 l suppose

Anyone know?

Simon

640cca sounds ok ,are batteries very old ? Dont know much about boaty engines but that workes out to be 4.5litre! Wow big engine ! Take it you using 2×640cca to make24v ?

Yes 4.5litre about 2-3 years old and 2x640 which is still 640 so lm told

Yes it is 640cca , ave just looked at me van 2.5diesel and that has a 640cca also ,it sound like you need a pair of bigger batteries ,that way you wont punish them too hard when you press that button and they will last longer ! That said battery i have ( l know different kettle of fish ,not got boat yet !) Is nearl 8 yrs old which is very good ! I believe in buying the best make you can in batteries ,as my mother in law used to say " buy cheap buy twice " !!!!!

Checked my batteries and all seem in order after charging up so suspect charging/starter/voltage drop problem on the boat.

A question that has been in my mind however is for my engine what would the preferred CCA rating be in a starting battery.

My engine is a Dorman 3AL 48 hp about 1.5 litre a pot 3 cylinder with a huge flywheel and loads of resistant oil in the sump :blink: --is the current 640 CCA sufficient (current batteries 24V 2 12v batteries)

Similiar to a JP3 l suppose

Anyone know?

Simon

What is the starter? If it is a BS5 then the locked-torque current is more than 650A but you won't reach that if the engine is turning over ok- lock torque is 100lb-ft if everyting starter wise is OK.

I would start by checking every connection between the starter and the batteries for cleanliness and tightness, Check that the starter is in the right place in relation to the flywheel (if it is not a flange mounted starter) and check that the axial movement of the starter pinion is happenning properly.

N

What is the starter? If it is a BS5 then the locked-torque current is more than 650A but you won't reach that if the engine is turning over ok- lock torque is 100lb-ft if everyting starter wise is OK.

I would start by checking every connection between the starter and the batteries for cleanliness and tightness, Check that the starter is in the right place in relation to the flywheel (if it is not a flange mounted starter) and check that the axial movement of the starter pinion is happenning properly.

N

The Starter is a cav BS512M14 and all connections seem good so starter off-where do l go from there? :mellow:

The starter is aligned ok but noisey and slow is it likely it needs refurbishment and any body got a likely refurber?? :help:

Thanks Simon

Edited by Dorman