Middlewich Narrowboats

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I've had a request in from a customer for a wheelchair access hire boat.

Unfortunately we don't yet have one (we have discussed options for building one but it's not on the drawing board yet)

Any one any ideas for:

A; the customer (Who have hired from Upton Marinain the past but would like to try a new area)

B; our boat design.

C; how many of you be interested in an easy access narrow boat from us if we did make one?

thanks in anticipation

Chuggy

First decide what adaptions you consider appropriate! Then what you can do in steel. What adaption is your prospective client looking for? It is truly impossible to make something that meets the needs of all possible people.

I drive an ambulance for my job so I see all sorts of people.

There is also a reasonable safety limit to what can safely be done on a boat by people with additional needs.

Stretcher access? Piped medical oxygen? Wheelchair access -including special shaped chairs for big people and exceptional needs? On board hoists for immobile people?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I've had a request in from a customer for a wheelchair access hire boat.

Unfortunately we don't yet have one (we have discussed options for building one but it's not on the drawing board yet)

Any one any ideas for:

A; the customer (Who have hired from Upton Marinain the past but would like to try a new area)

B; our boat design.

C; how many of you be interested in an easy access narrow boat from us if we did make one?

thanks in anticipation

Chuggy

Have a word with the Bruce Trust on the K&A at Gt. Bedwyn, all their boats are adapted for disabled users.

www.brucetrust.org.uk

Ken

Hi

Our 57 ft boat has been designed and built to accomodate my husband who is a wheelchair user (T9 paraplegic i.e. 'paralysed from the waist down'). Modifications include:

Pull out ramps on to the stern deck. These are articulated so they move up and down depending on whether the bank is higher or lower than the boat.

Hinged rails to allow access on to the rear at one side of the tiller with removeable aluminium ramps

An internal hydraulic/battery platform lift from the rear deck down into the cabin

Much less in the way of fixtures internally to allow floor space to manoeuvre the wheelchair, this has also been achieved by starting cupboards 10 inches above the floor

Fold up crossbed to allow access to the front well deck

Wet room with shower seat and a couple of handrails

Hydraulic steering system

Last (but not least) a camera system so that he can see where he's going!

As someone else has pointed out it is very difficult to design a boat that will suit all wheelchair users but there's one thing for sure: it will be more expensive!

Hope that helps.

Now we've got the boat sorted we just need more suggestions for accessible/suitable overnight moorings between Debdale & Mercia, please... :(