BSS v Boat Survey

midsnick

Featured Posts

In my quest for knowledge I am trying to ascertain the differences between the two.

My understanding so far is:

BSS = safety certificate. Required for boats being used on waterways.

Boat survey = Not a requirement but recommended if looking to purchase a boat.

Is a BSS normally carried out on the water whereas a survey will be carried out on a dry hull to report on hull condition?

Are there any/many other differences?

In my quest for knowledge I am trying to ascertain the differences between the two.

Is a BSS normally carried out on the water whereas a survey will be carried out on a dry hull to report on hull condition?

BSS is the Boat Safety Scheme. A BSC is the Boat Safety Certificate issued under the scheme, and needed to licence your boat. The BSC is roughly equivalent to the MOT on your car, and for private boats covers basic safety requirements only. Requirements for hire boats are higher. The BSC inspection can be done in the water.

A boat survey can cover whatever you want it to, and may well include a valuation. If you are buying an older boat you are recommended to get a survey to confirm there is nothing major wrong, identify what may need to be done, to give you a valuation, and possibly a basis for haggling over the price with the vendor. Your insurance company will probably want an out of water survey every 4 years or so to confirm that the boat represents an acceptable risk from their point of view.

David

That just about sums it up. Think of it like a car, it has to have an MoT, which could be up to 12months old but if you were buying it you might like to get the AA or RAC to inspect it & give you a report now.

Steve

When I bought my boat it had a recent full survey from a prospective buyer who was unable to complete the purchase due to problems selling a house.Although basics like hull thickness was tested in hindsight I am surprised at what was left out.The engine,electric and charging systems were not tested, neither was a genset onboard.If I had a boat surveyed again I would want to know all systems on board worked.Luckily for me everything did but I could potentially have been looking at a lot of dosh if engine had needed replacement. I suspect the surveyor was not explicitly asked to check these systems by the person that comissioned the report.

The only BSS inspection I had paid great attention to LPG system and led to the replacement of the cooker but there was only a cursory inspection of the electrical systems or solid fuel stove installation.There was no hull bonded earth for the 240v shoreline at the time (since rectified) but this did not appear to be part of the remit of the BSS test at the time.

Edited by JDR

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note to add that my boat insurance company www.merciamarine.co.uk asked for a copy of a recent boat survey once my narrowboat reached 20 years old. Not sure if this is industry standard or not, they've always been very good to be fair but I have to say this was a bit of an added expense I'd have rather avoided (as it happened got it dragged out and did the blacking at the same time though so could have been worse I guess).

May be of use for others to be aware of so you can plan in advance!

Edited by pophops